1973 Evinrude 85hp Help

Magicman5269

Cadet
I've an 1973 evinrude starflight that wont start. I've posted messeages here and I seeked help from so called "Mechanics" and I am having no luck on getting this engine to run. The problem is, it wont spark. Following the advice I rec'd from this forum, I replaced the power pack, took the flywheel off and cleaned under it. The engine turns over fine, fast and strong. From what people tell me, I have good enough compression too. Is there anything else I should do before I give up? I was once told these things aren't too complicated. Spark, Gas, and Power is all you need to run them. I also have the manual, no help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Evinrude 85hp Help

Have you tried unplugging the wiring harness in the Motor compartment and jumping it out at the starter to see if she will fire? This bypasses all the kill circuits which could render it dead. Be aware if it starts, you will have to choke it to kill it.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

Did you disconnect the kill circuit from the cdi box, to see if it is the switch?

D

DJ

Magicman,<br /><br />We can't see your engine, nor can we verify that you have done what you said. Don't insult us.<br /><br />From this so called "Mechanic", un-plug and re-plug every connection under the cowl. You will also find a fuse in one of the connections.<br /><br />If you are working without a manual, you are kidding yourself.

ledgefinder

Ensign

So, do you know anybody who plays high-school basketball against that LeBrun kid? Must be pretty awesome.<br /><br />What's the history on this problem with the motor - did it start suddenly, or is there more to it? <br /><br />How sure are you it has no spark? Pretty easy to tell if you've got an old spark plug lying around. Bend the electrode back some, so you've got an 1/8 inch or so gap (makes it easier to see). Ground the body solid against something, maybe with a pair of visegrips or a clamp. Then try it while someone cranks the engine. You can do it one at a time on all 4 cylinders. Ideally, should be a FAT blue spark, not thready. If you know how to 'hot wire' the starter, do the test with the remote control disconnected - that'll rule out the remote as a problem. Your motor will start & run without the remote, so be ready to choke it or otherwise kill it if it starts. <br /><br />If no spark, then see what that manual you have describes for tests. I know you can check the resistance in the 2 timer base coils & the 4 ignition coils. Unlikely the problem's there, however, generally you just lose a pair of cylinders with a flaky timer base. It's been a while since I tested one of those PP4 powerpacks, but I vaguely remember you test a bunch of other stuff, ruling them out as a problem, and if they all test good you are left with the powerpack. Did you buy a used one?