1977 85 hp hot/warm start

Jons77

Recruit
I have a '77 85 hp Evinrude model 85793 that starts fine and runs good. My problem is that if I run for say 15 minutes down the river, shut it off and let it sit for 5-30 minutes it doesnt want to start. It will finally start, but you will swear that it isnt going to (sometimes 2-3 minutes of cranking off and on) If I shut it off and start it right back up, it is fine. Is this an overheating problem?<br /><br />Also, where is the "pee hole" on this thing?<br /><br />Please bare with me, I am new here and new to wreching on outboards.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1977 85 hp hot/warm start

We need more info here.<br /><br />I don't know about the "pee hole" on this particular model, but after you have been running it a while if you take the cover off can you lay you hand on the top of the block just behind the flywheel (watch out for the spinning flywheel) without burning your hand? If you can its probably not overheating.<br /><br />Since you say it runs good I am going to assume that your spark is OK and doesn't have some heat sensitive part going bad.<br /><br />Does choking it help it or make it worse?<br /><br />Does it look like it is dripping gas out of the carbs after it has been run and then sat for awhile?<br /><br />Have you tried pumping the fuel bulb and does the fuel bulb eventually get firm or does it just make gas run out of the carbs?<br /><br />Once you get it running does it idle well?

Jons77

Recruit

It has a sparatic idle (kind of up and down) almost like a cylinder is misses once in a while. I have never tried to pump the bulb when I was having the problem and I never looked to see if gas was running out of the carbs. Chocking it just seems to flood it and make it worse. I will look next time and try some of these suggestions. <br /><br />What I did do is take it apart to look at the water pump since it hasnt been serviced. (at least since I have owned it-3 years) The water pump only had 2 blades left on it. The others were in pieces or gone. I will take it out soon and test it and let you know what happens. Thanks

Mufasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jons77,<br /><br /> That model does not use a tell-tale and I suspect something is wetting down your cylinders, ie. flodding carb? After running the motor with the pump in that condition now we must find the pieces. How many did you locate in the pump? The motor most likely was running hot and the thermastats may need to be inspected. It is not much fun on these models to get to them. Like mentioned, carefully feel the top of each cylinder head, they should be about 140 degrees. You may find that yours are somewhat cool do to the thermastats being stuck open.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I second Master Tech on the flooding cylinders, I would look for a stuck open carburetor float

Jons77

Recruit

Well I think that I found all of the pieces to the impeller. They were pretty big chunks. I put it back together and ran it some in the driveway. It didnt get so hot I could not touch it but if I left my finger on there it would get pretty warm. It started fine after it ran for awhile. For the first time I noticed that one of the carbs looks like it was dripping gas. What do you guys suggest next. Thanks

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

As Master Tech suggested, if you see gas dripping from the carbs and have the symptoms you have described you may have a carburetor float valve that is sticking open. You may be able to temporarily unstick it by rapping on the affected carburetor with a screw driver handle or something but this is not really going to fix it even if it works. It really requires removing and replacing the float needle valve and adjusting the float setting. If you go this far you should disassemble the carbs and do a complete cleaning and install new gaskets anyway. You should get a manual for your engine to find out the float setting. I think most end up horizontal with the carb body when you turn the carb upside down.

Jons77

Recruit

I happened to be reading some of the other posts and read that if the engine is tilted forward it will drip gas. My driveway is at an incline so it is tilted forward. I will level it off and see what happens. If I still have problems I will take your suggestions and put them to use. I really do appreciate your guys help and I will let you know what I find. thanks.....Jon

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Check to see if it is dripping gas while running also, as well as sitting (motor down) after running. Stuck floats (or misadjusted and not closing tight) on one or more carb are not uncommon.