Evinrude Electric shift problems

Erictheboater

Recruit
My 71 Evinrude 60hp electric shift will not shift into reverse but has forward drive. I have been told that the problem is the solenoid. Does anyone have any idea if that is correct or not?

Firestomper

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude Electric shift problems

I have a 1971 johnson 50 hp ..same problem foward but no reverse or neutral try the search on this forum lotta help full info

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Eric, try a couple things here. First, if you have access to an ohms meter, disconnect the blue wire going to the lower unit, this will be I believe on the starboard side of the engine. Slip the cover off the knife connector and separate the connection. Let your meter for low ohms and attach one lead to the blue wire and the other to any clean engine ground. No reading means the solenoid is open and needs to be replaced. A very high ohms reading will mean the same. You should read about 5 to 6 ohms across a good solenoid. Another thing to try, again disconnect the blue wire and start the engine, in the water or with muffs. Shift into reverse and jump 12 volts to the blue wire and see if you got reverse. If you do then the problem is in the forward/reverse switch in the control box. Good Luck.

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had that same problem on 50 evinrude electric shift. Only forward gear. Turn out to be that small shift rod wasn't in hole so it could shift.This was after water pump change out. Needed flashlight and dentish type mirror to line up small shift rod. OMC guru gave me that tip

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

with eletricshift when you lose power to the silonoids it will stay in foward [reason ]<br /><br />:shift toggle switch<br />:shift solenoids<br />:engine wiring

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

have apic of the wiring digram i can e mail it to you send your address e mail to [ papasage 10 @yahoo.com ] or post it on the forium

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a '70 85 hp.<br /><br />First, the motor is supposed to stay in forward. If you notice it is in forward all the time when it is not running. This is so if it won't shift, you can still get home. Do the wire checks listed above.<br /><br />The other thing is that these motors use a special L/U lube. I think its called Premium Blend from OMC. They won't shift right without it.

bandit

Seaman

hey eric i have the same motor 71 60hp. i'll probly be parting it out or end up selling the whole thing cheap. let me no if you need any parts pswanson@nctc.com as for your shifting prob go with what they said because they no more then me.