Up-grading motors

Kcin

Cadet
I have a 1966 60hp johnson sea horse motor on the back of a 17' Starcraft all aluminun, the 60hp motor is cable steered... now is it ok to upgrade to a newer motor but keep the cable steer or should u upgrade the steering to remote?<br />and what size would be a safe bet for the back end, the transum is rebuilt!<br />Thanks for any info!

Kcin

Cadet
Re: Up-grading motors

There is nothing wrong with it, runs like a charm, but just drinks the gas.<br />Just would like to change up if it is possible and in the budget!

G DANE

Commander

HI Kcin<br /><br />I would suggest you to get a mid or late 80 ´s 70 hp 3 cylinder Evinrude/Johnson.<br /><br />In good shape they perform very well and give good mileage. What max hp is your boat rated fore ? From around 83 the motors HP are propshaftrated and will give more power.

Kcin

Cadet

I have no idea what it is really rated for, but the transum was rebuilt 1.5 years ago. SO i was wounderin if a 1993 mercury 90 hp motor would be alright?

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

in your boat is a coast guard rating plate I suggest that you dont exceed it, regardless if the transom was rebuilt or not. When you do get a new motor it should include the controls and when you rig it do get new cables

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Since your worried about fuel consumption you can get the same performance on 50 hp of today as your getting on the at 60 with alot less fuel consumption. The newer 50 Hp will weigh less and is prop rated, the 60 Hp is heavier and power head rated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You need to upgrade to modern push pull cable.<br /> I dont know about Ontario but in NY state<br />Ive heard its against the law to upgrade to<br />anything over 40hp(?) with the old cable pulley system.New system is much safer anyway.