engine height with twins

Wide Open II

Cadet
checking my engines the other day, and I became curious and would appreciate the knowledge of others. With a single engine on a v-hull, i can understand the ventilation plate should be even with the bottom of the boat or just slightly higher. However, with twins on a v-hull, you have two options. Should the outboard side of the engine's ventilation plate be even with the bottom or the Inboard side??? With my boat, it could amount to a 2" differential depending on which side of the engine you measure from.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Wide Open II

angus63

Captain
Re: engine height with twins

Start with the inboard side even and try it. Adjust higher if you can after trials. Remember with twins that when the boat leans when turning the outboards change height much more than a single. Too high is bad (cavitation,over-rev) but too low is just added drag.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine height with twins

The same rules apply. X dimention depends on the style and technology of the props, set back - if any and hull design. <br /><br />With multiple engines you have the luxury of adjusting toe and turning the props in or out.<br /><br />Good luck!