audio alarm.

Particle Pete

Recruit
I have a 1989 Evinrude 150hp v6 outboard on my boat. I am getting sustained audio alarm when I turn the key to 3/4 of the way to start. I am wondering if someone could tell me what system on this motor could be generating this alarm signal. The engine has oil injection and seems to be consuming oil as always. The starting battery is fully charged. Alarm sounding prior to engine starting. I can toggle key back and forth a couple times to get alarm to stop. I can then fire the motor and it runs fine with out any alarms.<br /> Thanks a lot for any help

profish

Seaman Apprentice
Re: audio alarm.

Does the alarm stay on or does it just beep three times? My alarm beeps three times and then stops. If it beeps, this is normal.

Particle Pete

Recruit

No, it is constant. It clears if I turn ignition switch off and back on a couple times. I think it is an alarm but am not sure what is alarming.. thanks for your reply

nomadone

Recruit

Im sure it is just a test/check circuit and is normal Switching on off on etc is resetting diagnostics to run mode

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Pete, <br /><br />Sounds like the horn module is going south. It happens. But just to be on the safe side, you may want your local mech to take a look at the alarm inputs. Or, find the amphenol connector coming from the VRO pump and disconnect it. On each head there is a temp sensor with a wire coming from each, these are knife connectors, find these and disconnect, should be a black two wire line coming from the VRO tank to the inside of the engine. Find these and disconnect one wire. Try the key again. If you got the same results, change out the horn module or look for any shorted wires in the control box if that is what you have.