1984 evinrude 115 dripping carb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1984 115hp evinrude runs great,but it leaves a fuel slick once in a while and when I tilt the motor up after using it some fuel drips through the cover and down the throttle cable.It seems to be dripping from the bottom of the carb.Should I tighten the carb or replace the carb gasket????

angus63

Captain
Re: 1984 evinrude 115 dripping carb

First I would check the float setting and seal in the leaking carb.

kart33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2770 I have a 1985 90 Evin that did the same exact thing until I replaced the silencer gasket. In case you don't know the gasket it's the one that seals the black box on the front of the carbs 8 bolts out and replace the gasket. Good luck.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys,I think I know the gasket to try to replace.To check the float setting may be a challenge that I am not ready for since I have never touched a carb. before.Is it an easy thing to check?????

D

DJ

2770,<br /><br />My 1983 90 did the same thing. The leak was coming from the inlet to the bottom carb. The inlets were plastic and had shrunk, over the years. <br /><br />Prime up your fuel system and look at the bottom of each carb. You'll see it if it is leaking there.<br /><br />I drilled them out and replaced them with brass elbows.

Brew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2770,<br /><br />Checking the float setting is realtively simple. Remove carb from engine (probably four bolts holding it on). Remove the bowl from the carb (probably 4 screws holding it on). The float is inside the bowl. Hold the bowl upside down, the float will drop due to gravity. The float should come to rest even with the edge of the bowl. If not, bend the small tab on the float until it is even. Reassemble in reverse order.<br /><br />Now that I've typed this, I'm going to tell you to ignore it and buy a manual. It will tell you basically the same thing, but I'm sure it will be much clearer and easier to follow with pictures.<br /><br />By the way, if you are going to go to the trouble of taking out the carbs, you might want to give them a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and consider installing some carb kits. They are relatively inexpensive and provide you with new gaskets, floats and float needles.<br /><br />Good luck.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies!!I think I will start with the easiest one first and go down the line.Hopefully one of the replies is the answer. :)

cedarvt

Recruit

2770,<br /><br />My 1983 90 did the same thing. The leak was coming from the inlet to the bottom carb. The inlets were plastic and had shrunk, over the years. <br /><br />Prime up your fuel system and look at the bottom of each carb. You'll see it if it is leaking there.<br /><br />I drilled them out and replaced them with brass elbows.

this is an excellent idea otherwise you have to purchase the whole part for 90.00 each. why doesn't evinrude just use brass elbows?