15 johnson tiller

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class
i own a 1983 15 hp johnson with a tiller when you pick up the tiller i can see both gears "handle and motor gears " there are 6 small gears and 1 larger gears and i think they are off. my handle reads fast,start,shift,slow now my handle will not go farther back than start.There is a slot for each of the bigger gears to fit in but right now they are on top of each other just by looking at it if i was to take the handle off and spin it "clockwise" it will be perfect and will probaly end up on the "slow" as mentioned above but just want to make sure before i take it apart any help would be appreciated "can't go fishing" thanks

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15 johnson tiller

Hi Caldog,<br /><br />First, look at this.<br />Pull off the cover,put her in forward.<br />Now crank tiller to Off, Slow and WOT. Look at the cam while your doing this. Has to be in Forward else you wont be able to turn to WOT.<br /><br />Check CAM while turning throttle. Slow should line up mark on CAM with roller on Carb Throttle, roller is "just" touching cam at the mark on the cam.<br />etc for other throttle positions.<br /><br />This will indicate if your tiller control has jumped a tooth or two, or perhaps was removed and incorrctly replaced.<br /><br />From what I think I understand, working the throttle with the tiller arm folded up can let the gears jump out of sync.<br /> http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/Fishing Info/Johnson 9.9_15.htm <br /><br />Hopefully, one of the guys more familiar with your motor can post some better info.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!