Johnson 140 trim and tilt maintenance

Clive123

Cadet
I have delved into what appears to be the forbidden area (as far as the Evinrude/Johnson workshop manual is concerned, and there are no questions I could find in this forum), of replacing the trim and tilt o'rings and wipers in my Johnson 140, 1980 model J140TLCSA with internal type trim & tilt. I did this because one of the trim cylinders was leaking and I did not want to spend a huge amount of money having experts replace a few dollars worth of rubber!<br /><br />On putting it all back together, and testing it on the boat, without the engine on (just the stern and swivel brackets), the trim cylinders aren't leaking, but fluid is pouring out of the trim cylinder, which didn't leak before! I guess that's what you get for disobeying the manual! I put the fluid in with all rods extended, then screwed on the resevoir plug, and pushed the swivel bracket down with my foot, so the rods were in as far as they can go. I then pressed the up button. The motor turned but nothing else happened for a while. I was able to top it up with a little more oil, and eventually the trim rods extended to their maximum, but then the tilt cylinder just leaked lots of fluid between the rod and the end cap. I have replaced all of the o'rings (including inside the end cap), and the rods and cylinders are clean and smooth. So my questions are:<br />. Can anyone provide me with a schematic showing how the hydraulics work in this (or any) tilt and trim? If I understand the theory, I've a better chance of determining where I went wrong.<br />. Is it really so difficult or dangerous to replace the internals of the tilt and trim cylinders that the amateur with reasonable mechanical skills really should not touch it?<br />. Any thoughts as to what I could have done wrong, assuming all the rubbers were replaced correctly, which I believe to be the case?

Re: Johnson 140 trim and tilt maintenance

I have never overhauled a Trim Motor but I have overhauled many Flight Control Actuators in my time in the RAAF. There is not really much that can go wrong except not putting the O-rings on correctly. Did they have Teflon backup rings to stop them rolling? (White plastic material).<br /><br />Have you cycled the sytem through a couple of time to remove air pocketes etc.<br /><br />I am a little confused as to the exact problem as you wording is a bit confusing to quote you:<br /><br />"the trim cylinders aren't leaking, but fluid is pouring out of the trim cylinder"<br /><br />What do you mean by pouring out of the trim cyclinder? Where abouts is it coming from, is it where the shaft comes out?<br /><br />Andrew

Clive123

Cadet

My apologies Modcat, that should have read 'the trim cylinders aren't leaking, but fluid is pouring out of the TILT cylinder'- between the rod and the end cap. <br />I only did one 'up'movement, and stopped once I saw the fluid leaking. Could air in the system cause it to leak?<br />The trim cylinders each have one 'ring backup sleeve', but the tilt cylinder has none (not in the parts list). Perhaps a ring has rolled. I hope to get time to take it apart today (Oz time). I'll let you know what I find - many thanks for your input.

Make sure you have plenty of oil over everything while you are reassembling, that will prevent any O-rings from rolling. Air won't cause it to leak.<br /><br />Keep in mind once it is all assembled there is always some very minor leakage, on Aircraft we used to cycle the cyclinder and a few time then high pressue test it at 1.5 time normal operating pressure (4500psi) then count the drops from the seal, for example 5 per minute may be a pass, any more a fail.<br /><br />My Port Trim cylinder leaks if I leave the pistons extended, but I have not had to add oil in 6 months of use.<br /><br />Good luck. <br /><br />Andrew

Clive123

Cadet

The o'rings supplied to me were the wrong ones, hence the problem. I've replaced them with the quick ones and the trim & tilt are working perfectly now.<br /><br />Thanks for your input again Andrew (Modcat). Do you know Duncan Graham by any slim chance?<br /><br />Regards,<br />Clive

Thats excellent, love it when a plan comes together. I don't know Duncan. I am actually from Dapto, south of Wollongong, but work in Villawood.<br /><br />Andrew