motor dies after one minute

educator

Recruit
I just bought a 1995 40Hp Evinrude motor. Recently I took it out on the water and was unable to keep it running for longer than a minute. I just had the oil resevoir taken off of the motor since I didn't have room for it in my boat. Now I mix the oil 50 to 1 ration. I noticed that the bulb was going limp as it died. If I keep squeezing the bulb, it's fine. Could there be a sensor that is stopping the gas from flowing through? I'm trying a new gasline and bulb tonight. If that doesn't work, then what are some suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

NathanY

Commander
Re: motor dies after one minute

Sounds like it needs some work on the fuel pump. That is where I would start.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to iboats.com :cool: <br /><br />Nathan is surely correct.<br />But one question-- The primer ball, does it just go limp, or does it collapse?<br />If it collapses, the vent is closed, the pickup screen in the tank is clogged, fuel hose is kinked or plugged,or the inline filter is plugged.<br />If it's just limp, and you can pump it firm, then, the problem is th fuel pump. (a cheap fix).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Educator.<br /><br />I agree with both Nathan and 12Footer.<br /><br />One other possibility. When VRO is disabled and "disconnected" the oil inlet to the fuel pump must be sealed or the pump will suck air and pump it instead of the fuel. If you replace the fuel pump with one from a 48hp (no VRO) this possibility disappears.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

educator

Recruit

I bought a new gasline and bulb and it still dies after about a minute. The bulb gradually loses it's stiffness. If I keep squeezing the bulb, then it keeps running. Would I be able to fix the motor or should I take it in? Thanks for the input.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Generally speaking, a primer bulb will lose some of it resiliance as it goes from a pressurising device to just a passive set of check valves in the fuel line.<br /><br />The problem you describe would be more attributed to a plugged filter, poor fuel pump performance, vacuum leak in, or bad oring connections at the connector.