re-installing bolts

js5278

Cadet
I hope to be re-installing water cover bolts on my 40hp evinrude soon. They're no fun removing. What's the best product to use for reinstalling the bolts so that they'll come<br />out easier the next time. I've searched the site and seen references for "anti-seize" but some concern that<br />this was a copper based product that might cause corrosion around incompatible metals. I think I recall an outboard mechanic saying that gasket sealer was a good solution.<br />Any suggestions?

ob

Admiral
Re: re-installing bolts

js5278,Or you can try to locate a good no-oxide grease and use sparingly to threads when installing as the good stuff is course and fibrous.

mattttt25

Commander

my shop manual recommends using the non-hardening gasket sealer.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

i've used "form-a-gasket" successfully. it's just a hi-temp RTV gasket sealer.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jack is correct. Use the omc gasket sealer. It is brown in color. Coat the threads and torque to proper spec. When I rebuild an engine just about every bolt gets coated with this except rod bolts where I use loctite. Good Luck and glad to see that you have removed all of the bolts.