delay in power and battery going dead

Tazman282

Seaman
my boat has been sitting for about 6 months and I have finally been able to get it out and running again. I have replaced plugs, water seperator, replaced with clean fuel. By the way it is an 84 140 evinrude. It seems to have a lag in the power. I add full power and it goes but it takes like 30 seconds to get up to speed. And also after alot of cranking my battery would not engage starter anymore which I can understand but then after I got it started the battery never got better. Do I have a bad alternator and what about the lag. Any info would be highly appreciated....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: delay in power and battery going dead

Ahoy, Tazman.<br /><br />I suspect that you need to clean all of your high current circuit electrical connections. The negative cable-to-block connection is often poor after sitting up all winter.<br /><br />On your performance problem, we need to know what boat and prop you have, and what rpm you are getting at WOT.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Tazman282

Seaman

I had the boat running well a couple of days ago got right up on plane had no problems what so ever and then all of this started happening. So I am not sure why there would be a lag in power. Do you think I should clean out the carbs. And I was also told by a mechanic that the wires look as if they are soft and to replace them when I get a chance. Do you believe this could be a problem and how do you check to see if the alternator is working properly. Thank you for any info you may give...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Tazman - First thing would be to give your battery a full charge and test with a hydrometer. A good functioning alternator will be hard pressed to charge a depleted battery. You can test the alternator by following the procedure in your manual - buy one or hit the library if you do not have one.

Tazman282

Seaman

I charged the battery and it is working fine but why would it deplete the power supply so quickly simply from starting the engine. I mean I was continuing to crank for a while but it seems that it should last three times as long as that. However the boat still seems to lag getting up on plane. So I am not sure where the problem could be sometimes it works fine other times it has a delay in the reactivness to the throttle. Thanks for you help It is highly appreciated...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked the battery with a hydrometer? You can charge a battery to 12+ volts and it will still drop out quickly. I have just been through all that. See a recent long string on WalMart batteries. In my case I fried my batteries because the auto shut off on my charger failed. Volt meter would show almost 13 volts right after charging and the battery would hardly turn a motor over. The electrolite would not even register on the hydrometer.<br /><br />Having said all that your lag may be due to other problems but I would eliminate the battery as one of them.