Ive got black gunk coming out my pee hole

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice
I didnt relize how that sounded until I posted it. But it is kind of funny. :D :D :D <br /><br />I know that just doesnt sound right but it is true. On my 73 50hp evinrude. I started it trying to blow out the oil residue from my carbs. After running it for a few minutes I shut it down. I raised the motor up. After a minute or so I noticed black gunk coming out the pee hole. I got some on my finger and it has a smell of gas in it. Is this normal if the boat sets durning the winter.(it was not winterized)

alcan

Commander
Re: Ive got black gunk coming out my pee hole

Hi Rob<br />Are you test running this motor in a tank?

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice

No i have muffs on it . After I shut it off, and turned the water off, It set for abuot a minute thats when I noticed it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Rob, Are you sure you are looking at the pee hole? <br />I have no hands on with your motor but on most motors the pee hole is up near the powerhead, the water pees out the side so you can monitor water flow while you are in the boat.<br /><br />If however you are referring to a hole in the lower or midsection of the motor, YES you will have sludge coming out of it. It is carbon buildup exiting from the exhaust. <br /><br />There is a regular maintenance procedure called "decarbonizing" that should be performed on your engine to keep it running properly.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Rob31.<br /><br />I may need alcan to back me on this one but, I didn't think the older 50's had tell tales. Is it the little pee hole that shoots from the lower motor pan we are talking about?

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice

The hole is in the lower unit. It is just above where the lower unit seperates. It shoots water toward the boat. I have only had the boat for a year and I have never noticed water coming out anwhere around the power head. Not while in the lake or with the muffs on it, and the motor never gets to hot to touch.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK Rob, now we're in the ball park. I believe roscoe's post explains what you are seeing very well. Thanks!

alcan

Commander

Hi Rob<br /> Have you droped your L/U to service your water pump? Did you change the gear oil? There are inner exhaust housing seals in this model. Maybe they are worn or burned. This could cause a number of things. Exhaust leak to intake (rich running)if at all with the bonnet on. Might be the cause of all the problems you have been describing lately.

alcan

Commander

Hi Rob<br />I'm not a typer, so I'am real slow. If you have not done the service work I described earlier, go ahead and do so. Inspect those rubber exhaust seals. I agree with Jim and roscoe I don't think you have a problem. Jim is correct no telltale (pee hole, pisser).

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice

I have not dropped the lower unit. I have checked the grease and it is free of water and looks the same as it did when I changed it last year. If I decarb. what is the best thing to use. I did change the spark plug before running it and so far they are still real clean.And the motor seems to be running great other than idling. I had the carbs rebuilt last year Im going to take it back and have them adjusted.

alcan

Commander

Hi Rob<br /> All the manufactures put out products with all sorts of brand names. Some are seafoam, ring free,engine tuner,engine cleaner. I don't know if this will actually help your situation or not. I guess it won't hurt. I,m not a real big fan of this stuff, how ever it has saved my bacon more than once. This decab juice is not a magic wand. If your motor has a mechanical, electrical problem or needs an adjustment,it is still going to be there waiting for you.

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice

To remove the lower unit there are 6 bolts I think, is there a bolt under the carbs for the shaft.

LostViking

Cadet

I would try 800 mg of penicillin for 10 days....<br />Sorry I couldnt resist :)