1971 Evinrude 50HP (Selectric shift)

steveng7

Recruit
From reading some postings and finding out that a '71 Evinrude 50HP has some major problems, is hydro-electric shift the same as Selectric which is found on my shifter control box cover? Also, I bought this engine and it is stuck in "forward". I read the posting from Joe Reeves, member #6826 and got a little more information. In anyone's opinion, is this motor worth repairing and how available are parts? Any information on this motor would be greatly appreciated. Model #50173S, Serial #E02643. Does the "S" in the model number stand for "Selectric"? Finally, I need to find a starter because mine will spin but not engage the fly wheel. I think this has to do with me not having a battery that is supplying 70amp hour.<br /><br />Thank you in advance for any and all info so I can get my boat in the water! <br />Here fishy fishy!

D

DJ

Re: 1971 Evinrude 50HP (Selectric shift)

Steven,<br /><br />I won't comment on the electric shift. They were troublesome and it takes someone with a great deal of knowledge to trouble shoot one.<br /><br />Starter.<br /><br />1. Make sure ALL you connections are clean and tight, that includes grounds.<br /><br />2. Spray some WD-40 on the starter drive. Rotate it (by hand) up and down the shaft. Turning the drive counterclockwise (I think) will make the starter drive rotate up the shaft. Keep cleaning and spraying. It should free up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Steven.<br /><br />If your starter spins, it aint broke. You may have a sticking gear or inadequate current, as DJohns explains.<br /><br />The Hyro-Electric shifting system uses a hydraulic pump in the foot, and 2 electric solenoids to operate valves to direct the hydro-pressure to do the actual shifting.<br /><br />If you hear clicks in the foot when you push the buttons, the electric part is probably working and you are lacking hydraulic pressure. No clicks, the electric part is not working.<br /><br />When the shifting system fails the engine will be "stuck" in Forward, to get you home.<br /><br />A common trouble with these units is someone filling the gearcase with regular outboard gearcase oil, rather than the thinner oil specified by OMC for Hydro-Electric gearcases. That can cause very sluggish operation or complete failure of the hydraulic pump.<br /><br />Hope this helps. Joe Reeves can probably give you troubleshooting tips.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually I always thought the hydro electric gearcase was fairly trouble free and very easy to work on.<br /><br />One thing that comes to mind is that in your post you mention that its "stuck" in forward. Is it stuck in forward while its running or are you checking it without the motor running? It has to be running for the pump to create pressure.<br /><br />Good luck!

steveng7

Recruit

Thanks for everyones help and info. the boat, motor(1971 50hp evinrude)and trailer only cost me $500 and will make a find bass boat once i get the motor running, i will start with your suggestion and go from there, and i'am sure i'll have more questions in the near future. Thanks, steveng7 :D