labor costs to replace seals

zipfour

Cadet
I just bought a full kit of OMC seals for my 92 Evinrude 40hp lower unit because I am getting some water in the gear case. Does anyone have a wild guess about how many man hours a shop would need to install the full kit?

tgodiver

Seaman
Re: labor costs to replace seals

to reseal a yamaha lower unit runs 350.00 for labor alone

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jack - Have you determined where the leak is comming from? Had it tested?

zipfour

Cadet

Thanks, you guys. No, I have not had a test done to see where the leak is. I think I'm right if I ask the shop for pressure test. Will that identify the source of the leak?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Jack. A pressure test in most cases can identify a leaky seal or O-ring in the lower unit. However, I have had a couple gearcases that tested good for pressure but failed a vacuum test. Finding a seal leaking while under vacuum is difficult. Ask for a pressure test at the local shop. Maybe just the propshaft leaking and would be an easy fix. For your lower unit I would say about three hours, four tops, for a total reseal and inspection, bearings and such and hinging on the proviso that the darn thing comes apart just like the manual says it should. May as well redo the pump impeller while yer in there.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Jack G<br />I think every one is in ball park on time. Before you go to that expense You may want to change fill and drain plug seals and prop shaft seals and also carrier O ring. These are all quite easy to do. Also I think you will find a shop will not use parts you have and waranty work. At least all I have found have said if you suppply then no warranty.