4.5 HP Evinrude impeller replacement

Chris Denny

Recruit
Evinrude model no. E5RCSS, SN C7093107 I think this is a 1980 right? I have removed the 3 bolts on the lower unit but can only drop it 1/2". Do I have to remove the whole engine to free the shaft, or is there a trick. I bought a SELOC manual, but there is not enough info. Any tips about replacing the impeller and seals?

alcan

Commander
Re: 4.5 HP Evinrude impeller replacement

Hi Chris<br /> No, you don't have to remove the powerhead. You may have to gently pry and wiggle it a little to get the l/u to drop. During reasembly apply some anti-corrsion greese on the shift shaft joint. Your manual told you all there is to tell, it's just stuck a little.

Chris Denny

Recruit

Thanks alcan, I pried and wriggled and finally got the thing off. The spline came out of the pinion. I took the power head off to investigate and found the splines rusted into the engine. I got it apart fine and now I am cleaning everything and replacing seals etc. Should be easy now I can see how it was put together.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Chris,<br /> Make sure you clean the splines good and then grease them before reassembly. Also, make sure the o-ring at the top of the driveshaft is in place - will help prevent future rusting in the splines...<br />- Scott