'67 johnson 6hp fuel starving

dfb

Seaman Apprentice
My johnson won't run for more than few minutes, even with pumping primer bulb. When I disconnected the fuel line to carb and pumped primer bulb, only air moved little or no gas came out. I think the primer bulb is bad (even though I bought it new last year). When I squeeze the bulb it never gets hard. I also can feel a round object inside the bulb. I have a new fuel tank with male fittings. Do you think its definitely the primer bulb? Should I also buy a new fuel pump or clean the old one?<br />thanks in advance<br />Dan

dfb

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '67 johnson 6hp fuel starving

wow, how did I become a captain??? I read lots of posts but don't post much myself. I'm not worthy!!!

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Cap dfb,<br /><br />bulbs - is bulbs.<br />if it was working fine last year and is not working now, verify fuel pick-up/screen is clear. Is the line from the tank "collapsed"<br /><br />If all checks as "ok", i'd replace the bulb again. sometimes you get a bad one.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

I can speak to this problem from experience, as recent as this year.<br /><br />I have the exact same outboard, and had the exact same problem on two separate occations. My solution was to buy a new gas line. Fittings, hose, and bulb. The first time it happened, it was my bulb, it seems to be choking off. Little over a year later, it was my fittings. They appeared to be making a good connection, but on further ivestigation I found they would slip off every so slightly to cause air to get into my gas line and the outboard would putter out.<br /><br />My adivce, buy the new gas line. If the fittings on you gas tank or outboard are worn out, look at changing those also.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Stone

dfb

Seaman Apprentice

I think it was the bulb. I bought new bulb and line from Walmart. The motor works great!!! thanks for the helpful tips.