evinrude 90 trouble

Alan B

Recruit
1986 cajun blazer bassboat w/ evinrude 90 (VRO plugged.) I bought the boat like this last year. Never a minute of trouble. Got it out after setting up for 4 mos. It ran fine for 15 minutes and I arrived to where I wanted to fish. After 3 hours, tried to crank.....motor wouldn't crank. I thought I fowled the plugs (extra oil). trolled back,loaded boat. Got home, installed ne plugs and didn't see any fire when I turned the motor over. Checked to make sure kill switch wasn't activated. Still nothing. Checked all the fuses I know about, nothing. Could anybody shed any light on what I should check now? Maybe with a mter or a test light. Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 90 trouble

Alan<br />Disconnect the large red connector in the engine compartment and try to start it by jumping out the selonoid. If it does start or try to start, the problem is in the wiring or more likely, the ignition switch or kill switch. Be warned that if it starts with this plug undone, you will have no way to shut it down other than to choke it until it dies.

Alan B

Recruit
Re: evinrude 90 trouble

I could not find the red plug you described. I did go ahead and split the shifter housing. The tan wire going to the kill switch was broken. I spliced it back together and still nothing.