1982 50Hp. Johnson

Dornoc

Cadet
Just got an 82 Johnson motor. It runs good on ears. I was wonrdering what are some of the bigest problems with this motor? Was this 82 model a good motor? Thanks for any INFO. :rolleyes:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 50Hp. Johnson

Howdy, Dornoc.<br /><br />You need to test your engine under load. That engine can seem to run fine on the hose with only one cylinder firing.<br /><br />The 40-50-60 twin looper OMC engines were among the greatest outboards ever built. <br /><br />Good luck. :)

Dornoc

Cadet

Hi JB,<br />Thanks for the encouragement. That sounds good. I am going to put it in the water next week. Thanks again. :)

Dornoc

Cadet

Hi, Just took boat out with 1982 50 hp johnson motor.<br />run it under load. It did not want to start, but after five trys it started and run good. But when I got home I checked the oil in the lower unit and<br />it was dark green. I had changed the oil in it and put new washer on the screws. It was gray before I changed it.Could anyone tell me how much it would cost to have new seals put in? Thanks :)

alcan

Commander

Hi Dornoc<br /> I don't know how much it would cost to have this job done. If I were you I would presure and vac test the lower unit first. Then if it needs repair worry about how much it will cost.

D

DJ

Dornoc,<br /><br />Ditto ALcan. Have it checked first.<br /><br />I can't imagine why the oil would turn dark green. If it's not milky loooking, there is probably not any water in it.