'61 Evinrude Lark III 40 - Shift problem

jpollman

Seaman
Hello all !<br /><br />This is my first post here. It looks like you've got a great source of info here. I did a search and found several posts referring to my engine but none pertaining to this particular problem.<br /><br />Here's a little history. It was my Grandfathers engine originally. (I believe he bought it brand new) It was on a 16' wooden boat he bought. He used it for years for fishing and such. He passed away about 7-8 years ago. The boat was in rough shape so we cut it up and disposed of it. The engine just sat in my dads garage until year before last when he gave it to me. I bought a 16' aluminum fishing boat to hang it on. I hung the motor on the boat and hooked everything up just to see if it even ran. I set up a "test tank" with a big garbage can filled with water. ( I don't like "earmuffs" ). Well, to my shock and amazement after about 8-10 seconds of cranking she fired right up !<br />I then put a new impeller on it and rebuilt the carb and put new plugs in it. I used it just a couple of times that summer. She really ran quite well for an engine of that age. It pushes my boat along at about 28 mph. (Not blazing speed but plenty for a fishing boat)<br />I only used it twice this past summer because it started to have a shifting problem. I replaced the throttle and shift cable because the old ones were shot. Adjusting the cable end doesn't seem to have much effect on the shifting problem though. Even if I disconnect the cable and try to shift it with just the lever, I can't get it into forward. It does goe into reverse though.<br />I'd really like to replace it with a newer motor but the funds are a bit tight right now and I don't want to drop $2500 on an engine.<br />Basically, are "shift problems" generally an expensive proposition to fix. Or are there some cases where they can be just a matter of "adjustment". I do have manuals but they just don't seem to cover "shift adjustment" very well.<br />Thank you very much in advance for any input you may have.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: '61 Evinrude Lark III 40 - Shift problem

How long since the lower unit was serviced? If that engine has the hydro-electric shift(?) it requires a special l/u lube.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

jpollman

Seaman

Wow, that was quick ! :) <br /><br />It's not a hydro-electric. It's just a standard shift. I drained and refilled the lower unit when I did the other work too. (Forgot to mention that)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I don't know it there's any adjustment in the linkage or not. Your next best bets are gonna be get a manual for it or keep this post up here at the top until one of the Lark wizards surfaces.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I dont think there is an adjustment.Your manual<br /> should cover the linkage connector check it.Also check for play in the shift components.<br /> But my guess is you,ll need to check the gearcase<br /> If you have the manual it is pretty straight forward.

jpollman

Seaman

I think you're right. I'm pretty sure that the only adjustment is on the cable. We've got pretty cold weather and a good bit of snow here right now. But it's supposed to warm up next week. When it does, I think I'll go out and drop the lower unit off and bring it into the basement. I'm almost certain that it was working fine before I reinstalled it after doing the impeller. (I could move the shift rod up and down and rotate the driveshaft by hand and the prop spun accordingly) That leads me to believe that it's just a linkage problem. This motor has never failed to run for me. I hope to be able to get her back on the water this spring.<br /><br />Thanks guys. I'll report back if and when I get it working.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I assume the motor was running when you were unable to shift into forward gear, using the lever on the side of the engine (i.e., cables disconnected). If attempting with the engine off, try turning the shaft a little (pull the manual starter cord a little) and see if it will shift into gear -- can turn the prop a little by hand for a similar effect, but probably only if it were sticking in gear.<br /><br />I believe your engine has a cover plate on the side of the leg to provide access to the shift lever connector -- the attachment you disconnect to allow removal of the lower unit. It's possible that the connector is slipping on the shaft.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Pull that little plate on the side of the "leg" Make sure that when you put it back together you seated the shift rod(s) correctly into the connector device.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have a 40 hp & a 33 they are in the early 60 .<br /> when i purchased the 33 it wouldnot stay in foward gear it would jump in and out . normaley this would be the shift dog and gear worn . but when i pulled the gearbox apart. found the shiftrod had some loos play in it . pulled the <br />motor off there is a conection under it that was loos .it has worked sinse i tighten it up. you might check the antireverse leaver . it has to line up with a slot in the timing advance plate.so you cant put in gear while enguin is at high idle . that is ihe first thing i would check .

papasage

i still have those motors in my shop i can look at them for futher info if needed .they still run just dont need them . would sell but no one wants to give me anything for them just keep for a spair or for the grandkids to play with oneday<br />they are both great runing enguins.

papasage

in my first post i said antireverse leaver . it is a nutral lock leaver . anyway it is to keep you frome puting it in gear while it is at high idle .if ajusted rong you cant put in gear when idling

Lark40

Go to your local boat store and buy a Clymer's Johnson/Evinrude 1956-1972 Repair Manual.<br /><br />Has all the info you need.

jpollman

Seaman

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. The motor runs fine. I think that "Neutral Lock Lever" could be the culprit. I'll be looking into it soon. The weather seems to be getting ready to make a turn for the better....<br /><br />I'll report the results.<br /><br />Thanks again !

jpollman

Seaman

WooooPeeee !<br />I think I got her working. We're almost at "ice-out" here in SE Michigan so the other day I decided to tear into this shifting problem again.<br />I found that apparently the lower shift rod wasn't correctly or completely inserted into the connector when I reassembled it year before last when I did the impeller. It worked ok for the few times I used it but the last time it just quit totally. (I couldn't get it to go into forward AT ALL)<br /><br />I took it apart again and found that if I turned the driveshaft I could actuate the lower shift rod and everything worked fine. That told me it MUST have been a linkage problem. I found that the connector was stripped. I headed down to the parts store and bought a new one. I installed it and reinstalled the lower unit and BAM, it works fine ! I haven't had a chance to put her in the water yet but possibly by this weekend. If not then, probably by next weekend.<br /><br />Thanks for all of the suggestions. This is a GREAT place for information !