Shifting Problems

J Headrick

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1955 15hp Evinrude Fastwin. Can anyone tell me why my engine is hard to shift into forward and reverse? I disconnected the shift rod through the exhaust window and it is still difficult to shift into forward and reverse, I do not think the problem is in my lower unit. My manual does not go into much detail about causes in the upper part of the engine.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shifting Problems

I believe the older models had grease fitting located on certain areas.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm not sure about an engine that old but how long has it been since the water pump was changed. Seems the shift linkage runs through the water pump plate with seal or o-ring.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

alcan

Commander

Hi Headrick<br /> This is a fairly comman problem with these motors. The shift lever shaft doesn't get greesed enough. You may have to disassemble and clean it. Then regreese it. You will have to remove the powerhead in order to do this. You might be able to get by with heating around the shaft where it enters the midsection. then try to pump some greese to it. Be carful not to blow yourself up. Gasoline and tourches don't mix well. This last idea usually only works for a while,maybe a season. Then it will be stuck again. If you go the cleaning route, and keep it greesed regularly you'll never have another problem with it. If left alone ( you do nothing) you will eventually break the shift lever off.