9.5 HP Prop Size

WEH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1972 Evinrude 9.5 HP, Model 9222:<br /><br />I want to get a spare prop. The prop on the motor now, the "standard" prop listed in the parts list, is an 8-1/8x8.<br /><br />I can get an 8-1/8x8, an 8-1/2x8, an 8-1/4x8-1/2, an 8-1/2x8-1/2, or maybe even some other sizes in this range.<br /><br />I realize the objective is to select a prop size that allows correct RPMs at WOT for the boat size and weight but I don't have any way to check that.<br /><br />Practically, is there much difference in the performance of the above listed prop sizes on the same motor/boat combination?<br /><br />Thanks,

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.5 HP Prop Size

Crappie<br />In a word, No. You will notice little, if any, difference between those sizes. There is no significant difference in the sizes to change the RPM's much. Sorry...

WEH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks,<br />I wasn't looking to improve performance, just making sure that by going to a slightly larger prop I wouldn't be screwing something up.<br /><br />the props I'm looking at are all used props and the 8-1/4X8-1/2 prop is in slightly better condition.<br /><br />I didn't think the small size differences would make much difference but I just needed some other opinions.<br /><br />Thanks again,

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

In that case, nothing wrong with getting a different one in better condition. May even improve performance a bit!