Shut Down

mazelynx

Recruit
1995 150 Johnson shuts down when going from foward to reverse. Will restart, and idle in netural????

bidlimit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shut Down

I dunno about the big motors, but on the little ones a faulty shift swtich will also cause this problem :confused:

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the shift switch, if you can locate the switch, disconnect and try it.

ob

Admiral

I don't quite understand the point at which it seems to stall.Are you not shifting into nuetral before shifting into reverse?Your engine has a shift interupter switch that intermittently drops out the port bank when shifting from neutral to gear but I don't know if that is your problem.

mazelynx

Recruit

Is the shift switch a micro switch located in the shifter, and do they call it a netural safety. I know my 150 has a switch that takes the 6 cylinders to 3 to go into reverse. I go thru netural to reverse and that is when it shuts down. slm Thanks guys

ob

Admiral

The neutral safety switch is located in the controls and prevents cranking the engine in gear.The shift interupter switch is located under the cowl and is actuated by the shift arm linkage.Not a good practice to shift briskly from forward gear to reverse without at least a momentary pause in neutral.Hard on the driveline components.