1975 Johnson 85 HP Trottle Problem

dragonboat

Recruit
OK here is the problem, when in gear, at an iddle, the boat moves real slow, but when you throttle it up the throttles up, but the boat don't move fast at all, real slow, I mean slow! The prop does seam to lock in gear. Out of water, when you put it in gear the prop does lock meaning you can not turn the prop. I have now ideal what could be the problem as I am not familiar with boat motors at all.<br /><br />Model Number Johnson 85ESL75E<br /><br />Can someone help me figure out the problem with this boat?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Johnson 85 HP Trottle Problem

dragonboat <br />I would have someone operate the throttle from idle to full throttle, while you take a look at the throttle linkage at the carbs to be sure it's moving as it should be. Make sure the throttle plates in each carb are wide open(Horizontal) when the throttle is pushed all the way forward. Give that a try and let us know if it's functioning properly for starters. If not, you could have a defective throttle cable.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds to me as if you are describing a "spun" propeller hub. If that is the case, they can be repaired or replaced.

dragonboat

Recruit

Ok the engine runs good, meaning that it does Idle up to full rpms, it sounds as if it is going 60 MPH, but not moving on the water hardly at all like creaping along. When we took the boat out of the water we put the motor in gear the see if the prop would turn freely, it did not in gear, it will not turn at all, in neutral it turns. The throttle works great,it has plenty of RPM, its just that the boat does not move very fast on water, it creeps along like a slow torlling motor at full RPMs.<br /><br />sorry for the mix up I wrote the message in a confusing manner.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

dragonboat<br />As stated above, your Prop has a spun hub. It can take alot of force to realize that it is spun, so by saying it locks in gear doesn't mean it's not a spun hub. Take it to a prop shop and have it repaired. Might cost $40.00 or so to repair.

dragonboat

Recruit

thanks for the help, everyone.......I am glad it was not the whole lower unit that went out, that is what I was scared of.<br /><br />Thanks and happy boating