77 115 johnson

rmpenton

Seaman
i have a 77 johnson 115 with a unique trim and tilt system which is broken.is it possible for me to adapt a system from a newer model (78)?<br /> if so what will i have to change mounting bracket,steering tube? any help will be appreciated before i buy my trim and tilt pump

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 77 115 johnson

I just looked at the Clymer manual and it looks like '76 - '79 are the same. Why is yours unique?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

rmpenton

Seaman

my trim and tilt pump and cylinders sits outside of the motor mounts. parts for that are hard to find and expensive. i can get a newer model trim and tilt setup for 175.00 but it fits inside of my motor mounts. i dont have enough space to mount the new pump so i know i will have to change motor mounts, but will i have to change my steering tube also or can i make some kind of adapter? thanks

dpminc

Seaman Apprentice

You will have to change the whole swivel assembly, as the swivel bracket does not have the bosses for the trim rams to push against, or the tilt ram to attach to. I have never done this, and dont know if it is even possible. Try www.tcoutboard.com for used parts for your original system, or check this site for an aftermarket unit.

rmpenton

Seaman

do you know if a newer model steering tube will fit on an older motor? i can get all the brackets i just need to know if they will fit my motor