Play in teleflex steering

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am running a 135 Evinrude 1976 model with teleflex steering. I have some play in the teleflex steering. I can move the steering wheel to the right or left slightly and the motor does not move. If I continue to turn the wheel the motor turns. It turns easily. It has not been a problem with operation but I am concerned that something is going wrong. Is there an adjustment I can make to take this slack out? Is my steering going bad?<br />Please give me your opinion and advice.

Mufasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Play in teleflex steering

That is normal with a single cable rack and pinion type set-up. There is a certain amount play between the gear teeth and you feel the lag from push to pull on the cable. The high speed boats all run dual cable steering so that the slop can be taken out.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Jim, those single cable systems do wear out. The cable becomes stretched a little, and the gears wear a little. You can replace the helm and cable for about $150.00 . I think the dual cable system is a little bit of overkill, but will work great....I think your system has been good if it has lasted this long with only a little bit of slack. Goodluck...BushCat

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Just for kicks, I would check the clevis at the motor steering hoke for looseness. I had one fail last year due to corrosion. Fortunately, it failed while the boat was on the trailer (it would have been exciting at planing speed). Also, check that the cable is securely anchored at the stern end. If these two things are secure, I wouldn't worry.

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wondering if "No Feedback" is the same as Teleflex steering and if not is there any way to adjust slack out of the no feedback system?

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

spete,<br /> I use a no-feedback system made by Teleflex.It is also non-adjustable as far as slack goes.Jim,as "wilde-one" mentioned,take a look at the aluminum nut on the cable(motor end).Make sure it is tight on the tilt tube.Check the other(helm)end also.No-feedback eliminates motor torque at the wheel only.