The new Evinrude E-TEC

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: The new Evinrude E-TEC

Wow, 8 hours and no one has commented on this press release. Can hardly wait for more details. Sounds interesting, but a little vague. They make comparisons and references to both 2 strokes and four strokes, but never really say which it is. Hmmmm??

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its a two stroke...<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/evinrude/e-tec/background.htm <br /><br /><quote><br />The stratified fuel combustion chamber is key in this advanced technology. Fuel reaches the exhaust port only after it has closed, at one-half the time of traditional direct injection engines. This means the fuel charge does not escape the combustion chamber – especially during idle – as it is burned and turned into power. The stratified combustion chamber also offers better fuel efficiency because of its precise fuel flow. The E-TEC system senses when to change the number of droplets into the chamber, depending on the engine needs, which is extremely fuel efficient.<br /></quote><br /><br /><quote><br />Designed to meet CARB 3-star emission standards, Evinrude E-TEC will optimize oil and gas consumption. The stratified combustion chamber creates 80 percent less carbon monoxide than a 4-stroke creates at idle.<br /></quote><br /><br /><quote><br />Evinrude E-TEC engines also have a lower oil flow due to targeted oil delivery system and pass-through connecting rod lubrication. <br /></quote><br /><br />Now this is interesting.. though I am not sure if targeted oil delivery is what it sounds like. the con rod lube is very interesting....<br /><br />Aparently, the motors use 50% less oil then DFI motors and 75% less then old carb jobs.<br /><br /><quote><br />In the case of the 90-hp E-TEC, as much as <br />100 pounds lighter than traditional 4-strokes <br /></quote><br /><br /><quote><br />The pistons, made from special alloys, are nearly three times stronger than traditional pistons at operating temperature. <br /></quote><br /><br />It makes very interesting reading.. can't wait to hear what people that own them have to say...<br /><br />Let the 2 stoke evolution begin. :)<br /><br />Funny, I was just speculating some of this the other day.... :) <br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice looking rigs also...<br /><br />
ac_90hpwhite09_lrg.jpg

bundy

Seaman

It would be helpful to know the weight of these new engines since power to weight is such a key factor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was very disappointed. <br /><br />The press release alludes to several new approaches to 2 stroke, direct injected engines, but explains almost nothing. The guy who wrote it must have used every adjective in his book.<br /><br />I would like to see an engineering or technical analysis that explains HOW they got all of these wonderful results.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess they'll have to before it goes mainstream..<br /><br />people will have to know how to work on them.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a nice side access port to change the impeller.<br /><br />Pee hole placement kind of leaves me wondering what good it will do. Who can see it way back there?<br /><br />Yes it sounds like a 2 stroke, but that bit about oiling makes you wonder if they haven't cross-bred them. And the comparison to "traditional 4 strokes" makes me think they have borrowed some 4 s technology.<br /><br />Now, when will they be released?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well, if it fires every stroke its a 2stroke...<br /><br />I have been saying for ages that a new lube method is a great idea for two strokes.. maybe they read this list.. :)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Roscoe<br /><br />Looks like a nice side access port to change the impeller.<br /><br />You were joking about that weren't you???<br /><br />I doubt the drive shaft would fit out that port...<br /><br />I assume you mean the bottom support bracket.???<br /><br />:)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

waynebo

Cadet

my guess is the black the black opening at the lowest point on the engine cowl is for water to drain out fast in case hose ruptures like has happened on my 115 fitch.that way it doesnt fill inside the cowl and suck water and dissinigrate the engine.Did ya'll notice the engine is mounted backwards,plugs to the front and air intake to the rear.As to how it will be different to d.i and carbed engines in that it take half the time for the fuel to reach the combustion chamber than d.i,if it not d.i how are they getting fuel inthe cylinders after the ports are closed?Osmosess :D waynebo

waynebo

Cadet

It must be d.i,no doubt.But i'm thinking maybe also turbo or supercharged also,but that would add weight.Maybe the intake now rams air into the intake systems,the cowl intake is now right over the intake system.Yea i'm curious as hell. :eek: waynebo

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Oh, sorry about the water pump access cover comment. I guess that has been on my wish list for many years. It seems like someone would have come up with a way to do this routine operation without dropping the lower unit.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I can't argue with that roscoe..<br /><br />I loath dropping lower units... <br /><br />Its amazing the pain in the ass it is to change out a piece of rubber smaller then your palm.<br /><br />they need some kind of spring loaded splined sleeve and a two piece driveshaft.. that way you could just lever it up, and slide the pump out..<br /><br />I'd pay bucks for that... :) <br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki..

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

It is direct injected using a new design injector that is smaller and delivers the fuel quicker than the older ones.<br /><br />The electronics are more sophisticated to provide a better mixture depending on the conditions.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Up to the top, just in case someone has missed it.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to see this motor discussed. I wanted to tell you about it weeks ago but because of my relationship with bombardier I cant guyss trust me with this. Despite the lack of concrete information, this motor is going to change outboards forever. As quiet as a 4 stroke lighter, much more efficient then any 2 stroke and the price point will be right in line. Bombardier is committed to bullet proof technology and this is only the beginning

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cool...<br /><br />Thats all I have to say.. :)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Gadgetman

Cadet

This is way cool<br /><br />Had a 2002 200 Ficht I believe it was the strongest 200 I had ever experienced,but I had one little problem that my mechanic could'nt figure out that grew into a real mess.<br /><br />Got fustrated after 3 months and bought a yamaha.<br /><br />In a couple more years when they get their techs. up to speed,this technology will be the cats meow.<br /><br />I'll be back...........can't wait!!!

Trent

Captain

This comes from someone in the know... Not me<br /><br />They are 2-strokes. 2-cylinder 50-something cubes (58 I think, don't hold me to that), the 3-cylinder is 79 cubes. Many common parts with 60 degree V4 & V6's. Weight claim on web site ("up to 100 lbs lighter") based on heaviest competitor motor they could find. In searching around, I found 2 cylinder about 30 lbs heavier than lightest competitor (Honda) and the 3 cylinder about 20 lbs lighter than lightest competitor (Yamaha).<br /><br />Powerheads share same pistons/rings - bore is same as 60 degree enignes. New intake system eliminates annoying oil drip some of the older Fichts experienced. 2 cyl has single throttle body, 3 cyl has dual t-body. Pistons made from new alloy developed by NASA, use full skirt, about 3 times stronger than traditional aluminum alloy pistons. <br /><br />Oil manifold is same as they're using today, new oil injector. Microprocessor & programming determine oil metering. Claims on web site based on "E-TEC Oil" and optional oil map, also 50 hours is based on ICOMIA duty cycle. If all you do is troll, oil will last longer, if all you do is go fast, will use oil quicker.<br /><br />Just as the electronics in our PC's has gotten smaller and do much more, these engines use an advanced processor to control the usual stuff (monitor inputs & control outputs, you know the drill). Much smaller package than toady's DI engines.<br /><br />Fuel injector is nothing like Ficht system, completely different. Injector is bi-directional, not like a solenoid. Injection pressure (at nozzle) 500-600 psi range, fuel pressure in rails still 20-30 psi range. Fuel lift pump from the venerable 55 commercial.<br /><br />25A charging system, rope startable - 1 pull (yes, ONE) the average adult strength pull, a child or small woman might need two. 1/3 of a flywheel revolution produces enough juice to energize the necessary electronics, less than 1 complete rev is enough for microprocessor to determine sync.<br /><br />Mid section & gearcases - 2 cylinder uses same as 55 commercial model, 3 cylinder uses same as 60 degree V4. Will use same line of props as current 3-cylinder & V4 2-strokes.<br /><br />Component mounting (like tp sensor on throttle shaft) combined with non-adjustable linkage contribute to "no maintenance for 3 years/300 hours. Computer re-calibrates tp sensor every time throttle is closed. Gear lube change interval will be 300 hours. Motors that are barge tested run over 1000 hrs with ultra hpf, it comes out clean. In salt water use, fresh-water flushing would be a good thing. Auto-winterize feature still requires fuel stabilizer be mixed in gas tank and run thru engine. When activated, system oils the **** out of block and shuts engine off. The "closed fuel system" isn't any different than current DI engines, and no, there is no closed fuel cell in bost or a fuel return line to boat - USCG still frowns on that.<br /><br />This sucker runs real quiet too. I was told when they brought in the CEO to check it out, they had a Honda 90 and the E-TEC 90 idling side by side in the tank - They had to turn off the Honda in order to hear the Evinrude.