'84 evinrude 35hp

micar

Cadet
Hello All,<br /><br />I have just finished rebuilding my '84 model evinrude 35hp (E35ELCRR) and am ready to start it for the first time. I have since bought a replacement for this motor so the evinrude is going to be sold. <br /> The motor has plenty of spark and fuel, when I turn it over, there is a kick but the engine won't run. I am not sure if the coils are the right way around, is there a way to confirm this before I start the motor? Also, is it possible to have the timing 180 degrees out like a car engine? Is there a correct procedure to check and adjust the timing before the engine is cranked over? I'd prefer not to buy a manual because I am selling this motor so any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />cheers<br />mike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '84 evinrude 35hp

Hi, Mike.<br /><br />Hmmm. I am reminded of SteelSpike's tag line.<br /><br />Without a manual, the number of things that you could have done wrong are many.<br /><br />If youe engine kicks, you are not 180 out on the timing. I think it is more likely to be a fuel mix problem. Have you tried spraying fuel mix into the carb?<br /><br />Good luck. :)

micar

Cadet

no, not exactly, to bring fuel through, I covered the end of the carb with my hand while I cranked it over and this brought the fuel through. I don't mean a full 180 out but enough for the motor to firing when it it shouldn't. Can this be checked?

micar

Cadet

Also I should probably have said to start off with that there is a kick... and a backfire, this is why I think that the timing is out.....<br /><br />cheers <br />mike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Mike.<br /><br />Backfire, huh. Well, that could indicate a timing problem. Double check that the flywheel key has not sheared.<br /><br />Buy a manual and sell it with the engine.<br /><br />Good luck. :)