'81 70 hp evinrude

micar

Cadet
2 things,<br />1 I have a 81 model 70 hp Evinrude. I pulled the carbs off to day to give them a clean, I found in the middle carb there is a jet screwed in the float bowl (not sure of the correct name for the jet). It appears that some one has had a go at removing the jet before and damaged the screwdriver slot so it does not screw all the way home. We are only talking one and a half threads here so my question is, will that have an effect on the performance of the motor? Also on another carb, the needle housing was unscrewed 2 turns making the float level wrong amonst other things. What would be the effect on the engine with this problem.<br /><br />2 I have scoured the forums on this site and there appears to be alot of knowledgable people in regards to outboards. There is a stack of useful info.....It is a credit to this website...<br /><br />cheers<br />mike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '81 70 hp evinrude

G'Day Micar.<br /><br />Both of the carb issues could affect performance. An overhaul kit should supply replacements for both parts.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

alcan

Commander
Re: '81 70 hp evinrude

Hi Micar<br /> JB is spot on, replace those parts. Since both areas you describe are critical to metering fuel or air. The float leval would cause a lean condition or a flooded condition. If too lean you could have, loss of power,detonation,excessive heat,less fuel,hence less oil.<br /> The jet part you refer to either meters air or fuel. If not seated corectly The same conditions could exist.<br /> Flooding (too much fuel)would cause, loss power, carbon build-up, foulded plugs,excessive heat.