How do I check 1970 9.5 HP Evinrude Coils?

Hrdboatr10

Recruit
I am not getting a spark from the lower cylinder. I tried checking the points, they look good and I regaped them to .20 I tried switching the condensers around from top to bottom but that did not do it either. I'm guessing the only thing left is the coil however I don't know much about it. <br />Thanks for any help.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I check 1970 9.5 HP Evinrude Coils?

Mornin' Hrdboatr,<br /><br />Quick comment.<br />Just installed new points on a '66 9.5. No spark on #2 cylinder. Findings: Problem with points. Point base (with wires from coil and condencer) was shorted to ground. RESULT no spark.<br /><br />Left handed approach to confirm coil problem; Swap points. If spark travels with points then problem is points. If Spark stays on original cylinder THEN, likely there is a problem with the coil.<br /><br />Sorry I cannot advise coil test BUT, stick around for a while. I'm sure several of the guys here can advise a proper coil test procedure. <br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I check 1970 9.5 HP Evinrude Coils?

Hrdboatr10 <br />Disconnect all the wires to the coil, but leave it mounted to the motor. With an ohmmeter, check the resistance from the spark plug terminals to the + terminal on the coil. See if reading are the same or close to the same, at each plug terminal. Should be around 200-300 Ohms. If there is a big difference, replace the coil.