gearcase oil change

crusty

Cadet
Changing the gearcase oil on a Johnson 60 hp VRO, Model # J60ELCO, # C8205383 need to know how much new oil to put in, after I drained the case. when I purchased the oil the rep at the marine store said probably almost 30 oz, the container was a 32 fl oz size. when I went to fill it, in the bottom out the top, it wasn't more than 9 or 10 oz'z that went in. I let it drain overnight previous, but certainly didn't get 30 oz out of it. Just wanna make sure heir is enough in it before I restart

ob

Admiral
Re: gearcase oil change

Crusty your 1985 60 hp lower unit capacity is 21.30 oz.Hi-vis lower unit lube.

crusty

Cadet

Thanks for the capacity amount. Any reason I didn't get much draining out or am not able to put much in. I checked the markings on the bottle, and I was only able to put in 3 oz. Is there a reserve of oil in there I can't drain. I tried tilting it to see if it would drain more. I also didn't pump to fast, I did it slow to allow it to fill in. I'm a little concerned before I start it up again, any help would be appreciated

ob

Admiral

crusty , Only thing I can figure is that<br /><br />1-there is some debris blocking drain hole<br />2-low ambient temp <br />3-vent plug not removed while draining<br /><br />Remove lower drain plug and upper vent plug and attempt to drain again.If it slows down before you reach what you feel should come out try inserting a small diameter tool in an in and out motion in the drain hole and see if it resumes flow.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Crusty,<br />So if I have this right, you drained the LU and tried to refill it, but could only put 3 oz in it before it came out the vent screw? Is that correct? I just cannot see any way that it would start coming out the vent screw after only 3 ounces. I have a '90 70HP Rude and I put in somewhere between 20-25 ounces when I refill mine, before it starts to weep out the upper vent screw. The lower unit will always have "Some" fluid left in it, but it is insignificant. Ya got me on this one!!

crusty

Cadet

Thanks guys I will try draining again and possibly looking for blockage on the drain hole. Other than that being plugged I'm stumped too. One note is the two holes have different size screws in them, contrary to what the manual's, and parts catalogues show. So previuos owner may have stripped the threads and redrilled. The fill/drain(bottom) hole is the smaller of the two, which again is contrary, if anything if it was thread stripped it should be bigger?, not smaller

ob

Admiral

Crusty, Not to insult your intelligence but rather to insure we're taliking about the same screws.Here's a pic .Drain and vent screws are #45. <br /><br />gearcase

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

crusty, <br />I fear you have unscrewed the wrong screw in attempting to drain the unit from the lower drain screw. Although, I must ask this one question. How much old lube drained out of that bottom screw when you let it drain overnight? I know you had to catch the excess in some sort of container. At the very least, the amount that came out should be less than or equal to the amount you can replace. And make sure that you drain with both screws unscrewed to vent. Let us know how much old came out. Good Luck

crusty

Cadet

Yes those are the correct screws I took out when attempting this. As I mentioned though tyhe bottom/drain screw is actually smaller in diameter. only on my Johnson. I've seen the pic and they should be the same. When draining the first time I only maybe 2-3 oz draining out, and that was about all I could replace back in. I've got a small space heater warming up the lower unit now to see if it will drain better, if the oil is warmer, and I'll check for blockage, Keep you all posted on this one.

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I may be not reading this question the right way, but are you putting in the oil until it starts to flow out the top vent hole, or is the oil coming out the drain hole after 3oz. i wa salways told fill till it comes out the vent hole, replace vent plug making sure gasket is in place, and then replace drain plug making sure of correct gasket.

Walker

Captain

Something sure isn't right. If all else fails try filling a little from the top and see if it comes out the bottom.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Screws should be the same size. Try what Walker says and see if it comes out the bottom. I got the feeling you got the wrong top screw!

crusty

Cadet

Yes I have the right screws, and am filling in the bottom till it flows out the top hole. I was able to drain about 8 oz the 2nd time( some was the new I had put in) the first drain only about 4 oz came out, which maybe if it hadn't been done in a while might be norm. I gonna attempt again today.Warmer temps all around, so we'll see how it goes.

ob

Admiral

Crusty, when you initially drained the lower unit was there any indication of water intrusion as in milky color to oil.I was considering the possibility that your oil was emulsified to the point where it had become thick and pasty consistency and was not draining.

crusty

Cadet

the oil appeared more dark than milky colour, it was dark and verl sludgy. I did manage to pump 12 oz into it today. So i might let it sit and run it a very little bit to work it in, drain it and try again tomorrow. That's why I heated up teh lower unit with a space heater, though to try and get the oil more runny so as to drain better. The screws and gaskets were quite tight in there when I intially drained it,so I think it was maybe just neglected by previuos owner.

ob

Admiral

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by the drain ,fill ,run ,and redrain procedure.Hopefully you can eventually get most of the sludge broke down and drained where it will take the specified volume.Good luck.

crusty

Cadet

yah I think that might be the trick, cause after I filled /drained it the first time, I did get more out of the brown oil, thanks for your helps