ON-OFF or Tidy Bowl????

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have always used on -off with great results.Here I have read of many that use toilet bowl cleaner instead.Since i boat in only medium fouling waters and i use my boat a lot I thought I would give the bowl cleaner a try and use something a little less caustic.The active ingredient in the bowl cleaner is hydrogen chloride.I know I have heard of this before but I cant remember where?????Am I going to be making a simple task tougher to do by switching??.I have a 32foot boat with twin outdrives.Charlie

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: ON-OFF or Tidy Bowl????

I use toilet bowl cleaner cc. I only go in inland lakes and the occasional river trip. I have been using "The Works" brand because it is a very watery consistency. I pour it in a spray bottle and spray like crazy. My motor doesn't get very yukky, but it looks like new still. I also put a good coat of wax on when done. For the hard to wax areas, I use a "hook to the hose" type of spray wax. <br /><br />I've never used on-off before. I used to use Lime Away, but the toilet bowl cleaner works a lot better.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The On-Off will irritate your skin but does an excellent job. I use Tidy Bowl -- it comes in a squeeze bottle so we just squeeze some on and spread it around with a sponge type floor mop. Let it sit and rinse it off. <br /><br />The salt water canals around here can put some pretty ugly stains on a boat. The Tidy Bowl takes it right off as well as dock scrape marks.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Haven't used this on a boat, but if you're interested in something less caustic and harmful to the environment, this might be worth trying. I know it's recommended as an effective alternative to bleach based deck cleaners (and better for the wood because it doesn't break down the wood fibers like the bleach based stuff will). Would be interesting to see how well it works on boats. <br /><br />8 oz oxy clean (or oxy boost, etc.)<br />3-4 oz TSP<br />1 gal hot water<br />Mix and allow 5 mins or so to fully disolve.<br />Spray, let sit 10-15 mins.<br />Either brush (if needed) or spray off <br /><br />If anyone does try this, please post back as to how well it works (if at all).<br /><br />p.s. If algae is a problem I'd try upping the oxy clean to 12 or even 16 ozs.

18rabbit

Captain

Clean with fresh water after each use. I have had moderate success with campaigning this issue as “woman’s work”. So far, only resulted in mild bruising, nothing that didn’t heal quickly.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Well after years of using the Onn-Off bottom cleaner with great results for 12-$14 a bottle I DID give the toilet bowl cleaner a try and to my surprise it worked pretty well.My boat came out of the water pretty clean for being in salt water since May so in my case it was a very economical way to go.I bought some bowl cleaner at Walmart that had 20% sodium chloride which was a higher concentrate than the name brands and it was only .99 cents per 32 oz bottle.I cant speak for barnacle removal or heavier growth removal which On-Off cant be beat.But for moderate fouling and rust spots on stainless it worked pretty well.Thanks for the advice guys!! Charlie

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br />The active ingredient in the bowl cleaner is hydrogen chloride.
Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br />I bought some bowl cleaner at Walmart that had 20% sodium chloride which was a higher concentrate than the name brands and it was only .99 cents per 32 oz bottle.
Sodium Chloride or Hydrogen Chloride?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

CW,I dont remember which it is and quite frankly I dont care.It worked and thats all that matters to me.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure most of us know not get any of this stuff on your rubber boots if posible. I've been using gel toilet bowl cleaner for years .<br /><br /> Jim

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Muratic acid works well for stains on the hull and I would assume it is compatable with the environment as well professionals use it to clean wells out.<br /><br />Am I wrong? You need rubber gloves but it works very well.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> CW,I dont remember which it is and quite frankly I dont care.It worked and thats all that matters to me.
Thanks anyway.<br />I'll just go with the Tidy Bowl. That way I can know I'm getting a product that others have had good luck with rather than guessing what some generic is supposed to have for ingredients. :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

All of these chemicals are called "oxidisers". Bleach is the best oxidiser. I use Spray on Scrubbing Bubbles.<br /><br />Sodium Chloride is table salt, it wouldnt clean.<br /><br />Most forms of acid will clean up rust and hard water deposits. Vinegar works great.<br /><br />Ken