live well question

thekingrancher

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a new 2004 palm beach 161 white caps and i've never had an aereated(sp?) livewell before. So my question is this, on the transom there is a big hole, where a plug could go, but i believe that is what pumps the water into the live well. is this right? am i supposed to leave the plug in it, or never even put it in? I have no idea how this whole livewell thing even works, can someone help me please? :(

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: live well question

if this hole has a plug, i would suspect this is the aft drain plug. the intake for the live well should also be located in the aft, next to the drain plug. the live well intake should also have some sort of slotted cover over it to prevent debris from being sucked into the system. you may want to check in the live well, there should be a valve of some sort, you can turn to allow water to flow in to the live well.<br /><br />i own an 04 alumacraft navigator 175 cs, and this is the set of for the livewell. hope this helps

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I think the dealer/salesperson should demonsr=trate all the features on a new boat.

thekingrancher

Seaman Apprentice

i aree, but i bought this from the car auction i buy from. it was brand new, never even put in the water. The GM of the auction has a brother-in-law that is a boat dealer and he had two 2004 models left, so he ran them through the sale. oh well, i'm going to the lake this afternoon and figure all this BS out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If that's the only hole in the transom, it's very likely to be the drain.<br /><br />Maybe the livewell fill pump is just missing. There should be a through-hull fitting somewhere below the waterline, usually it's thru the transom, with a pump attached on the inside and a hose running to the livewell.<br /><br />There should also be a livewell pump-out, or maybe just an overflow drain hole though the hull above the waterline.