1974 Glastron V-140

slowgypsy

Recruit
We have a place on a small lake in Mass. and recently bought our neighbors old boat. This Glastron is a tri-hull, with a 1974 Merc 500. The boat has been well cared for, but does show signs of wear-and-tear... heck, it's 30 years old. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this boat? Ever had one, or used one? For us, it'll be a small lake boat, something to visit the neighbors in or take out the occasional tuber. The engine had some issues but I've fixed almost everything by now, and the interior needs some tending to and I was thinking of making this a winter project. Any thoughts?? All stories welcome!

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: 1974 Glastron V-140

I am a fan of older Glastrons and own 2 1976 models. One was reasonable cared for and is solid as a rock. The other was neglected and needed new stringhers and transom last year. There are some pics of teh structural rebuild at: http://www.kimandjason.net/webpics/restore/Index.html <br />There's a group devoted to old 'trons at classicglastron.com<br /><br />Go for it and have fun. 'tron made some nice, solid boats that perform well.<br /><br />EDIT: fixed link.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1974 Glastron V-140

I had a 1970 19'er with a 140 hp on it. I replaced the floor & stringers. Great boat! Ran that sucker for 15 years all over south Florida.