boat storage in garage

okbasser

Cadet
I store my boat outside.I was considering storing it in the garage. It has twin 20 gal. vented tanks. does anyone have trouble with the gas fumes or can you just plug the vents?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: boat storage in garage

Tape up the vents, and just make sure all your connections are in good condition, and I see no problem. And leave a note on the wheel about the vents!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I leave my boat and 2 cars, snowblower, 2 lawnmowers, and generator in the garage, all have vented tanks. I never smell gas fumes.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I don't put anything with gas in it in the garage anymore. That's because I have a natural gas water heater and furnace in the garage. Both have pilot lights. Years ago, my son's gocart was in the garage and the gas line began to leak. Luckily, I found it before the fumes had reached the pilot light in sufficient concentration to ignite. If that had happened, it would have been one bad scene. Around here, many houses have basement garages with gas appliances in them.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

If the temperature is fairly stable, then there won't be much for fumes coming from the tank. Your car probably vents more fumes than your boat because it's constantly going from the outside world to it's nice warm home...from warm after running to cool as it sits...from the gas sloshing around to settling to calm. Of course, if you have a modern EFI car, that's somewhat debatable.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats.

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't put anything with gas in it in the garage anymore. That's because I have a natural gas water heater and furnace in the garage. Both have pilot lights. Years ago, my son's gocart was in the garage and the gas line began to leak. Luckily, I found it before the fumes had reached the pilot light in sufficient concentration to ignite. If that had happened, it would have been one bad scene. Around here, many houses have basement garages with gas appliances in them.
A garage should be properly ventilated near the floor to prevent any problems of this nature. In addition to that fact the water heater and furnace should be installed a couple feet off the floor on platforms. Additionally the garage should be a couple feet lower than any attached living space to prevent any infiltration. Granted, we all know that this is not always the case.<br /><br />The simple fact that all gas tanks including cars, trucks, boats, lawn mowers, etc. etc. are vented to atmosphere requires that these codes be followed for any construction of a residential garage. <br /><br />That is what a garage is designed for.... storing cars, trucks, boats, lawn mowers, etc. etc.<br /><br />So you do not need to bother taping the vents closed at all if you make sure your garage does not have any problems such as a water heater sitting on the floor.