HELP - WHAT NEXT?

MESS147415

Seaman
hi everyone, its been my first year in boating and my family are hooked. Ive only had a 14 foot speedboat with a 70 hp evinrude which weve had great fun kneeboarding with. Im now considering upgrading for next year. Ideally i would like to be able to pull 2 or 3 kneeboards, be able to use the boat for cruising on the river also - present boat is great on the plane but travels at about 45 degrees at sub warp speeds!The ski club i belong to has a 17foot boat limit. My question is, within the limits of finance and economy, what are the best options for type of boat and engine for a boater on a tight budget! thanks guys steve

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: HELP - WHAT NEXT?

but travels at about 45 degrees at sub warp speeds<br /><br />Hi Steve,<br /><br />Would like to see a picture of a boat at 45 degrees on plane. <br /><br />Best suggestion would be to query the other member of your ski club and get their advice. Also some of them may be upgrading and will sell you their boat.<br /><br />Fitz.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Steve, First of all, it will get real crowded behind the boat with two or three kneeboarders riding at once.<br /><br />Second of all, 70 HP on a 14 footer is likely near the maximum HP for that boat. To achieve similar performance, you will need to be near the top HP of any boat you buy.<br /><br /><br />To answer your question. I would get a 16 foot outboard-powered runabout or speedboat. Get at least 115 HP, or you may not like its performance. Also, a flatter vee hull will give more speed, and the river is likely calm enough where you will still have a smooth ride.

MESS147415

Seaman

thanks chris and Mr Fitz - the 45 deg I referred to was how boat runs if i try and cruise below planing speed! Yes, you confirm what i have been thinking, a 16 footer with about 100hp should just about meet my needs and still be practical for towing and storage - can anyone recommend any hulls to look out for which will ski/board well at speed but cruise to the pub on a sunday afternoon as well? thanks steve

mattttt25

Commander

i'd go with a 16 or 17' bowrider with an i/o. i always hated skiing and kneeboarding behind an outboard. the i/o should give you a better hole shot for pulling as well.