1998 Evinrude 115

Paul Witt

Seaman
I just bought a used boat this season. It has a 1997 Evinrude 115. Any problems or concerns I should have? Seems to run great, but others have told me to be aware Evinrudes around this time, before they were bought out.

D

DJ

Re: 1998 Evinrude 115

Witt,<br /><br />Your engine could be a crossflow or a looper. Do you have a model number? Hint, look on the mounting bracket for a tag with mod. # and serial #.<br /><br />If it's gone this long, trouble free, you're OK.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Witt<br /><br />1997/1998 was before they got complicated with the Ficht introduction and so the Evinrudes were pretty standard then (same as Johnson). I have a 1997 Evinrude 115 60 degree looper - no problems except for some starting issues earlier on. <br /><br />Overall a comparatively good simple & reliable outboard.<br /><br />By the way, welcome to iboats ! We've just been talking about North Carolina in the "White Lightning" thread under "Nothing to do with boats".<br /><br /> :)

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Witt:<br /><br />I have a '98 90 hp rude, probably the same engine as yours. The 90s and 115s were very similar. I disconnected my oil injection and now premix. I have had no trouble with mine. It has proved to be very reliable. With proper maintenance, I think you will be happy with your engine as well.

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks for the info. Do I need to disconnect the oil injection? I thought this was just on earier motors.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Witt...<br /><br />The newer VRO systems are very reliable. If it were me , I'd take the rig to my friendly neighborhood mech and have the alarms for the vro system checked and make sure they are operating. I woudld also ask him to check the system for leaks to make sure the system isn't sucking air. I know many boaters with VRO systems and they have had no problems with theirs. You have a good engine there with a proven block. Treat it good and it won't let ya' down.<br /><br />Jim....(pro VRO) :D

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

OutboardJim is correct. These engines were pretty reliable with the VRO. I disconnected mine for peace of mind. It only cost me around $50. I consider it insurance against a failure that my alarm might not have indicated until it was too late. Good luck.<br /> :)

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks for all the help. This is the best boating forum around.

plugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a 1999 johnson jpl 115<br />factory rig on a 17 ' mako<br />is that the looper?<br />it has a systems check cycle at every turn of the key.am i not corect in thinking it would alarm if the auto feed of oil was halted

Paul Witt

Seaman

If I'm not mistaken, the system check when you first turn the key on, is only checking the lights themselves, not the entire system.