getting my engine ready for the season

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class
I Have a 68' 9.5 johnson<br /><br />I had it runnig in my dusbin yesterday and seemed to riun fine , i srayed some wd40 in the cylenders before starting and turned it by hand , <br />it took a lot of pulling to get it goin , i ended up pouring a few drops of premix into the carb and it fired right up , i also sprayed some wd40 into the carb while runnig , smoked a bit but i was told to do this , i am goin to change the gear oil befor the season starts...any other tips , the water flow seems good so the impellar must be good

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: getting my engine ready for the season

digimortal777,<br /><br />Pretty generic stuff.<br />For starts, from your description, sounds like the carb needs a thorough disassembly/cleaning and perhaps a rebuild.<br /><br />Shoot! somebody else on this sight has previously posted this link. As I don't know the history of your motor, take a look at this. Plenty-O-good info.<br /><br /> http://www.precisionserv.com/Outboards/Revitalization.htm <br /><br />Good Luck<br />Have Fun!

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

What season? We have a snow storm going in Central New York! The way I see it; you've got about three months to get it ready. What's the rush? :D ;)

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

the rush??? , pike fishin all year round , trout season starts in feb<br /><br />carb is fine once she fired it ran great

66fordpickup

Recruit

We've had weather in the 60's for the last week and a half, If i wasn't do work on my boat I would have been fishing. Although a cold front just moved in and it is in the 30's today.

g'day digimortal777 <br /><br />i've found that wd 40 aint much go as a lube and when i attempt to restart a motor that has been sittin awhile i use inox as it has great lube and penitrating propertys<br /><br />cheers too ya all<br />Daryl