what prop would suit

I am just in the middle of changing the motor on my 1962 16ft bell boy f/g boat from 1963 75hp johnson to a 1973 80hp merc and was hopen some one may be able to surgest a prop that will give me an all round preformance(mainly use the boat for fishing but the kids like to use a ski biscut)<br />cheers daryl :D

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: what prop would suit

Hi WishinIwasFishin,<br />Looks like a 13" X 17" pitch prop would be a good starting point for your boat and Motor combo. That should put you close for tubing and such. If you don't have a Tach installed now, I would recommend putting one on, so that you can check WOT Rpm's after you get your new motor up and running. Good Luck,

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you know what you were running with the 63 John 75Hp? If that gave you good overall performance I would stay with that.

17isme

Recruit

I Would recommend the 13 1/4 X 17". That size is perfect for your engine. I have the same size prop (aluminum) and it runs wonderful. No problems What-so-ever! Thank you<br /><br />JAZZ :cool:

just rang the guy trying to sell this motor to me and asked what prop is on her and he said 21".My reply was that's to big and he siad the gear box is geared down so is good my question is can this be done and would merc do this in house or is it an after market job <br />cheers and happy new year<br /><br />daryl

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only your tach will tell> On a bigger motor you can go up in pitch and if your boat and load is low drag a 21 might work. Use the highest pitch that you can and still get 5500 rpm. Never mind the guy's bul... Salesmanship.