1964 75hp Johnson Help needed

This motor has an overheating problem dont know much about it. It idle well run well until it gets hot(how do I get to the water pump). Any help greatly appreciated.<br />Cheers Fisher

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 75hp Johnson Help needed

Fisher....First thing - get a service manual. Generic manuals like Clymer or Syloc (think I spelt that right) should give you the info needed to check the pump which is mounted on top of the lower unit which has to be pulled. You may have to contend with a wire harness if it's a electric shift or just pull a small cover off the mid section to get to the shift shaft link if it's a mechanical shift. You did'nt say if it was putting any water out the hole located on the midsection just below the pan at the rear of the engine. Could be T-stat problem. But again, if you are going to tackle this yourself, get the manual first. It will save a lot of work and frustration not to mention the "words of praise" for the engine that usually happen when going in blind.

Can anyone tell if this motor is worth fixing as so many have said that it wasnt worth it?? As to date it just seem to be the overheating problem.<br />Cheers<br />Fisherfriend

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If it works and gets you too and from the fishin' hole and there's nothing wrong except a water pump, I'd say it was worth fixin'.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

alcan

Commander

Hi Wishin<br />I'am going with Hooty on this one. The repairs your speaking of fall under routine maint. True,that these older motors can cost more than they are worth to have repaired at a shop. So in these cases we have to take matters into our own hands. We have to shop around to find a less expencive labor source. Our own shops. Here we can justify slave labor by calling it spare time. The bad thing is we assume all risks and no guarantees. The plus side is there is no waiting.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ditto on Hooty and alcan. Get that manual and check her out. True, the old monster V4's can look intimidating, but just like all two strokes, they ain't nothin' but glorified weed eaters. (oooooohhhhhh I sure hope I didn't hit the wrong button with anybody)<br /><br />Jim