Lower Unit Gear Oil blacker than....

willtill

Cadet
...usual. It does not smell burnt. Smells like regular gear oil. Also, the lower unit drain screw let out a little built up pressure when I started to unscrew it. Noticed a slight milkiness to it when it was draining. Or it could've been good gear oil, since the boat has been sitting for a while, and I'm hoping against hope that it was the contaminants in the oil had settled out a little.<br /><br />Here's my questions:<br /><br />1. Is it normal for the gearcase in the lower unit to have a little pent-up pressure in it?<br /><br />2. Wouldn't that be a sign that the seals are holding in it?<br /><br />3. If the oil is dark (almost like used motor oil), does that mean that something is wrong inside of the lower unit?<br /><br />I've been using the Super HPF from johnson/Evinrude. My motor is a year 2000 Johnson 200hp OceanPro...<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-Will in Maryland

ob

Admiral
Re: Lower Unit Gear Oil blacker than....

willtill, sounds normal to me.Lower unit oil that has not been changed for some time will indeed have a dark color .The pressure you felt when breaking seals on screw is also indicative of seals holding.I would replace the seal washers on the drain screws when changing oil.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

A little 'milkiness'...is that like being a little pregnant? :p Seems OK, I would just keep an eye on it...take a look after 50 hours? Just to be sure. Seals 'sound' OK. ;)

willtill

Cadet

Thank you gentleman for your comments. I'm going to change out the gear oil again in mid-summer, if if it looks good, I'll not worry about it for the rest of the season.<br /><br />Kindest regards,<br /><br />-Will in Maryland

Tick

Recruit

I had a something like this happen on a 10 HP Johnson that I bought which had been lying down w/ the prop in an upward position for quite a while...when I stood it up I found the seal around the prop was leaking and the oil had a milky look...I replaced the seal, replaced the gear oil and it's been fine since...I don't know if it would have hurt it or not but I imagine it would have eventually...Good Luck: Tick