Pressure/Vaccume testing lower unit

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Simple question. With lower unit filled or drained<br />or somewhere in between?<br /><br />(If it matters, 1970 85hp Johnson Electric Shift)<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike

fishinhole

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pressure/Vaccume testing lower unit

filled for press. ck. to see if fluid comes out, when vac. ck. keep motor in down position and ck. from top hole so you don't suck out fluid. should hold press. or vac. for 3mins.

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pressure work in some different ways if you have oil in the unit it will not take as much air to reach the maxium pressure point. Being not to exceed 15 psi the oil will make most of that volume up. Now if the unit is empty it would seem like it would take more air not to exceed 15 psi cause there is no oil in the unit to take up the volume I check mine empty others check it full. it is a50 50 point. Another thing is if your unit is leaking your oil will look milky.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Come on guys, you're guessing! LU should always be drained before pressure/vacuum testing. LU should hold some pressure/vacuum at the end of 45 minutes with some leakdown acceptable. Failure to drain will yield unpredictable results. In the case of pressure, it will mask prop shaft seal leaks.

zoltar

Seaman Apprentice

Just my .02 cents, I took my LU in to have it tested profesionally, and they said that they tested it with all the fluid removed - both pressure test and vacuum.<br /><br />Zoltar :rolleyes: