Flywheel and recoil for 1956 Johnson 30hp

mullenexd

Recruit
Could someone tell me if I can change the manual start on this johnson to an electric start and maybe the Part numbers. Model is RD-18 C<br />I just got this and the recoil is not the correct one either.<br />Anyone with part numbers for starter flywheel and if any brackets are needed. or from what other years i could get these parts from<br /><br />Thanks<br />Don

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Flywheel and recoil for 1956 Johnson 30hp

Sure you can. Finding the brackets and flywheel shouldnt be too hard ,but finding a good starter might be. A good salvage with the parts you need is Mikes at 918-776-0078. Just tell him what you got, and he probably has it.<br /><br />

mullenexd

Recruit

Thanks for the info.. I have found a couple parts with these part numbers 35RL76G C14832 they are off a 76 but not sure if they will work on mine....<br />Thanks for the quick replies too.<br />Don

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

These parts are on eBay all the time. The 35-40 hp engine starters from 57-67 should all fit your 1956.<br /><br />Since they are both used and cheap, you might buy a couple sets of parts from different sellers.<br /><br />The wiring you can easily make up yourself. Use the Clymer J/E 1956-72 Repair Manual for the wiring schematics.

mullenexd

Recruit

Thanks for all the info. I was also trying to find some info on switch the old metal gas can with 2 hoses to a new plastic one, does anyone know if that is possible<br />thank<br />Don

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it is possible to convert your engine to a pumped fuel supply, though I don't know if there are "kits" to do it with.<br /><br />You will need to mount a fuel pump on the engine and give it access to crankcase pulses. Then you can use a modern style tank.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the switch, you need to buy (or easily make) a switch that is exactly the opposite of any other modern auto or boat ignition switch. These may still be available as "older OMC" switches.<br /><br />Modern switches assume battery ignition and make contact to energize the circuit. You (and I) have magneto ignition, and the switch makes contact to kill the engine. Accordingly, we need a switch that has it's contacts open when we want to start and run. <br /><br />I simply bought a toggle switch to kill the engine from the dashboard, and alongside of that I have a (1958 Evinrude) key switch to turn the starter.<br /><br />Strongly suggest you buy the Clymer manual mentioned above at any boat store.