88 HP 1990 Johnson- won't turn over

busbees

Recruit
I am having trouble starting my motor. It either starts okay, or nothing happens when the key is turned. It is EXTREMELY erratic- I have had it to the shop twice, and both times they were unable to make it malfunction. I just picked up the boat yesterday, and when I had trailered it home, it won't do anything when I turn the key. However, my guess is that if I take it 26 miles back to the shop, when I get there it will start! Is there something in the switch that could be sensitive to vibration? The alarm (a beep) DOES sound when I turn the key even when it won't do anything else.<br /><br />Thanks!!<br /><br />Paul

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88 HP 1990 Johnson- won't turn over

Hello Paul.<br /><br />Welcome to iBoats Bulletin Board.<br /><br />Get a voltmeter.<br /><br />Connect it from the small terminal on your starter solenoid and to the block. <br /><br />Do you read 12V when the key is turned? <br /><br />If yes, your solenoid is not functioning. <br /><br />If no, connect from the block to the negative terminal of your battery. If you then read 12V when the key is turned you have a bad connection or a bad ground cable. If you still read zero volts your key switch or it's wiring is defective.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

First thing to do is check and clean all the grounds. Battery, selonoid, starter, engine, Ect. You might have someone turn the key while you wiggle the wires till you find the one that is bad.

D

DJ

Paul,<br /><br />JB and Rick are correct. Pay special attention to the black ground cable that attaches to the right side of the engine block. Take it OFF and clean it.<br /><br />This connection bit me big time on a 1989-90 hp. I chased it for months.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Could this be a problem with the neutral safety<br />switch? May just be an adjustment.On some motors it is in the control box.

D

DJ

steelspike,<br /><br />Could be. You can test that theory by rocking the lever back and forth while holding the key in the start position. Or worst case, dismantle the control box and TEMPORARILY bypass it.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

If all of above fails to correct the problem, try replacing the solenoid. My '91 88 SPCL passed all voltmeter tests, etc. and solenoid was bad, anyway. I understand this is common for this era motor.

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paul after you clean your connections and make sure your battery is fully charged and it still does not work I would do two things. Take a jumper wire about 8-10 inches long and touch the two big posts on the solenoid. One post will be on top and the other on the bottom but be careful. Only hold it for a second to see if the starter will turn the engine. Just watch what you are doing cause you will see some sparks fly. You also might want to tighten the bolts that hold the starter to the block. If they are loose your engine will not crank. You can also take battery cables and connect to a battery and take the hot-red and connect that to the wire on the starter and take the negative and touch the body of the starter. Be carefull again to only hold for a second cause you would see sparks fly. Good Luck- Clean tight connections prevents starting problems.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would use a voltmeter to first rule out the solinoid ad jb said then start clean all the wires check for loose or damaged it can become kind of a cat and mouse game but dont worry lots af really experienced guys here that if you are precise in the problem they will help you also i got a dig camerea so that any future problems I can post that too if you have one do the same

Walker

Captain

The solenoid is easy to test. Jump from the battery side to the starter circuit on the soleniod. The starter circuit is one of the small posts on the soleniod. If the starter engages then your soleniod is good.

busbees

Recruit

I can't believe all the responses I've received already- this site is amazing! I had to work yesterday and today, so I haven't had a chance to try any of your suggestions yet. However, I thought you all might find this interesting. The boat is on a trailer on my carport right now. As I mentioned earlier, when I parked it there Friday evening, the motor wouldn't crank. Last night, when I got home from work, I tried turning the key for the heck of it- it cranked!! I did this 3 or 4 times-it cranked every time. This morning, on the way out the door to work, I tried it again- NOTHING. The boat has not been moved at all, and yet it is acting up just sitting there. I'll try some things in the next few days- thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.<br /><br />Paul

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If thats what happened you need to tighten battery cables, solenoid and starter bolts and nuts. Disconnect your battery when tightening solenoid nuts and starter wire coming from solenoid. Be sure to tighten starter bolts. Once you do that then tighten battery connections. Inspect to see if they are clean. Good Luck

busbees

Recruit

Okay guys. I replaced the solenoid- still no good. I did the routine that JB suggested with my voltmeter, and it looks like the starter switch is the problem. Is this something I can do myself? Do I replace the entire mechanism, or individual switches? I have a digital camera and can send pictures if necessary.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Paul

dragonslayer

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Paul,<br />I just read your posting and I have had some problems with the main large red harness connector under the hood. I would have someone move the wiring around under the hood especially at the large red plug while the key is held in the start position. If the motor rolls over pull the connector apart and check the condition of the pins inside. They may be corroded or one of the pins may even be pushed back to far in the molded plug. Sometimes the connection goes bad to one of the pins. They are not servicable and you would need to determine if it is the motor side or control side of the harness. The harnesses are sold as an assembly, the plug is part of the harness.