Johnson 140 steering arm removal

Clive123

Cadet
I have removed the powerhead from a 140 Johnson (1980)because the tilt tube is badly corroded, as are multiple parts of the lower unit (although gear-box is OK). I'm having trouble dismantling the mid unit, because the rear bolt holding the rubber steering mount was so corroded I had to grind the head off it. I started drilling a hole in the remains of the bolt so I could apply an easy-out, and, you guessed it, the drill-bit broke off inside. Many blunted drill-bits later, the old drill still isn't out. I'm looking for other ways of removing the whole mid unit from the tilt tube, and am not sure how it all fits together Am I right in saying once I have removed the 3 bolts from the rubber steering mount, and the 4(?) bolts holding the top section (sandwich?) from the adapter, that the steering arm should then just lift off the vertical steering pin? <br /><br />The front bolts holding the top section to the adapter are also badly corroded and will have to be chiselled off. I don't want to do this until I'm sure I know how it all fits together. The Clymer manual is no good when it comes to the mid section and steering arm.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 140 steering arm removal

Take a look at www.BoatersSupply.com Look at the upper left hand corner. 'Click' Johnson, then motor year, and the "mid section" or "exhaust" this will show you every part, with number, and price, including the steering arm. You may need model number. Hope this is helpfull. ;)

Clive123

Cadet
Re: Johnson 140 steering arm removal

Many thanks Mumblerone, just what I wanted.