Javelin Thoughts

dpropson

Seaman
I have found a local marine that has a 1958, 35 hp Johnson Javelin. What can you tell me about this motor? Will I be able to find parts, etc? I was orignally looking for a regular 1958 35 hp, Johnson. Always appreciated.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Javelin Thoughts

All I could find is a Pic of a 1957 Model. Maybe others will know more.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Rick,<br /> The Javelin is basically a jazzed up 35.<br /> Kind of a top of the line deluxe model with<br />electric start and generator.I believe there should be a chrome door that covers the pull rope handle.and a chrome door that covers the choke and mixture controls.Most likely there is a box that mounts on the transom that has the regulator and starter solenoid in it.Without these and a working gas tank it should be considered incomplete.<br /> The motor is collectable due to the deluxe<br /> trim,features and age.<br /> For its age parts are still pretty available<br /> Some from dealers,some from NAPA auto parts<br />and stuff appears on ebay regularly.<br /> I believe fuel mix is 24:1 and you should stick <br />pretty close to that possibly going to as lean as 32:1 but no less.<br /> With proper care these motors are virtually indestructable.They are darn thirsty though.I have a 1965 Merc.50 hp. that gets better milage and my 88 50hp Evinrude is head and shoulders above both of them.<br /> I have a 53 and a 56 of very similar design<br />that I think are terrific but I personally wouldnt use them as everyday motors.There are<br />too many newer more responsive motors around.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Good info Spike! Don't know about the "3.5" thing. I just found this Pic of a 1957 Johnson Javelin "35" HP Motor and thought it might be interesting to others.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'd double check your years. The Javelin was only available in '56 and '57. The '58 top-of-the-line 35 was called the "Super Sea Horse". It was similarly appointed with deluxe features and special paint job and a new bucket cowling.<br /><br />In any case, there are plenty of donor motors for big-ticket parts, and lots of sources for smaller basic maintenance parts. Might take a little hunting, and a little pestering of the parts guys, but the stuff is out there. They're quite easy to work on if you've got a decent sense of mechanicals and a good manual.<br /><br />As for the "3.5" that's a customized '57 toy Johnson 35 1/9 scale outboard made by K&O. K&O only made the basic edition, that one's been dressed up in Javelin trim...<br /><br />- Scott

dpropson

Seaman

Yes, chinewalker, I think you are correct. It is probably a '57. You don't think it would be a risky motor considering the availability of parts? About how much would you think a motor like that could sell for if in very good cosmetic shape and having it running very well. Thanks.<br /><br />Dennis

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

dpropson,<br />Found this add and thought it might give you some insight to what you can expect to pay. It was from this last spring, so I'm sure it's no longer for sale.<br /><br />For Sale: I have a 1957 Johnson Javelin 35hp for sale. I do not know if it runs, and don't want to try, since I can't put it in the water. Probably only good for the parts, it's been sitting for about 5-7 years. I've taken off the hood, and everything looks intact. The engine is complete, emblems and all. It could use a coat of paint in spots, if desired. $20 packing fee plus cost of shipping - you decide shipping - if you want to set up trucking - I will take to the loading dock. Asking $300 (negotiable) for the entire unit, since you can't find them together like this any more. With the right mechanic, I'm sure this engine could run again, I just don't have the time or money to put into it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I would consider the old 35s to be one of the better motors they ever built. It and it's predecessor 25s and 30s are well built and the basic design was kept up into the late 1970s with the 40hp WorkTwins. There was a slight bump in the 1960 model year when they bumped the 35 to 40hp and started snapping crankshafts. They added a beefed up crank and got another 20 years out of the design. The design started as a 36 cuber with the 25s and 30s, bumped to 40 cubes for the 35, and up to 43 & change for the 40. There is some interchangeability between model years, closer years the better. Basic maintenance parts like impellers, coils, condensers, points, carb kits, fuel pump kits, lower unit seals, etc. are readily available and relatively inexpensive.<br /><br />If the motor is basically healthy - good compression, no cracked castings or missing pieces, etc., then there's no reason it can't be brought back to life and serve as a reliable motor. Typically my vintage motors serve a Sunday Cruise role, rather than in an everyday runner capacity. Not that they wouldn't work as everyday runners, but I simply don't want to wear them out. I like having something a little different, somthing that gets the old-timers remembering when. I enjoy tinkering with easy-to-work-on motors that don't require a huge investment in special tools, diagnostic equipment and need a hydraulic hoist to move around my shop. I like taking that motor the local marina deemed too far gone and bringing it back to life. I also want to be able to pass that along to my boy and running the tar out of them isn't the way to do it - but that's just my opinion.<br /><br />As for value, that's always a sketchy area, as one person will see a motor going for hundreds of dollars on eBay and think that his clunker has got to be worth the same amount, when in reality, there are literally millions of motors out there and relatively few people collecting/refurbishing/using vintage motors. I can almost guarantee that if someone pays the top dollar on eBay, they will later find the same motor at a garage sale for a tenth of the price. The Javelin is a nice motor to have, as it is somewhat unusual. They sold more of the basic 35s than they did the Javelins, so there is a certain amount of built-in rarity there. If it's in the condition you describe, I'd say it's worth what you want to pay for it. Is it worth what they're asking? I don't know. It's a buyer's market, you're the buyer, so you decide. If the seller thinks it's too low and you're way apart on the figures, let it go - there are others out there...<br />- Scott

dpropson

Seaman

Pretty sound advice, Scott. I intend for this motor to be used lightly. I have not seen all that many motors, in the range I'm looking for (30 to 35 hp johnson, late 50s). So, I have little to compare it to. I know it's difficult but what's your guess on a very clean, completely overhauled '57 Javelin? $800, $1000?<br /><br />Dennis

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />My 1957 Johnson has never given given me a spot of trouble.Twin city outboards has all the parts easily available,but nothing seems to break.As for points and coils, these are standard and very easily available.<br />The only thing that I changed is that whenever I tighten a bolt after service I use blue lock tight.<br />I would not go over 750 and insist on some sort of garantee.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'm with Rolmops on this one. You can buy a decent used late-model motor for that kind of money, so make sure you get some sort of WRITTEN guarantee on the motor before delivery. At swap meets I've been to, $800 will load your truck with all the 35s you can handle.<br /><br />Also, does it come with the original style dual-line gas tank? Those motors won't run on a modern single line tank without a conversion kit added. Good dual line tanks go for between $40 and $100 on eBay. The 35 in question, for that much money, should have all controls, electrical harnesses, and at least one tank. It should be the creme-de-la-creme...<br /><br />- Scott

alcan

Commander

Those motors didn't cost that much new! They didn't have a guarentee ether, when new. And as far as truck loads are concerned, I bought two heaping pick-up loads for $500. Was this motor owned by Elvis?

dpropson

Seaman

Pretty good advice, guys, that's why I asked the question. I'm just beginning my search for a 35 hp '56-58 Johnson and, from what the guy was saying, I thought he would be asking too much. Alcan, what would you expect to pay for a very nice '57 Javelin (not owned by Elvis)? Thanks for the advice but you have to admit that most things appreciate in value at some point. How much was a new '57 Chevy, how much is it worth now if it looks new?<br /><br />Dennis

rolmops

Vice Admiral

In 1957 the 35 horse basic sold for $615 and the javelin was almost $700.<br />Mayers Marina in Rochester NY still services these engines.They rebuild and sell them with some type of guarantee.<br />It might be worth a phone call at 585-323-1010.

alcan

Commander

Hi dpropson<br /> Sorry I am not an outboard appraiser, nor do I concider myself a collector. Hey, more than one person wondered about my sanity when I bought all those junk motors. It didn,t take long to get my money back though. I guess there are a lot of folks into this retro thing now days. I am just not ready to call myself retro yet. I view these motors as work beaters. Run em cuzz they're cheep. If they break and are too much trouble to repair, scrap out the parts and grab another. If I were a nostalgia guy and just built a cool wooden boat that I needed a motor for and not being mechanical, I might go that price for an original motor complete. Other than that a couple hundred bucks ready to go. If it needs anything done to it, not more than $35. There are just too many free ones to be had. Just a couple months ago I picked up a half a truck load of Merc parts that someone threw in a ditch along side the road. It's all older stuff so it didn't have that stolen look. Scroungers have to be careful. I feel if you put your scrounger hat on and be patient you can get a real nice motor of that vintage at a lower price. Watch out, or you too will end up with more treasure than you know what to do with.

dpropson

Seaman

Alcan,<br />Yeah, I'm not an expert either and I'm just looking to get something that fits my old wood tub I just picked up. I like the old motors but I'm not going to get reamed. I'll do my homework. I just had a feeling this one guy was asking too much and I always get the straight answer on this forum. You can keep your museum piece, I want a motor that looks good and runs better. All of your comments on this subject really help. I'll take my time.<br /><br />Dennis