Johnson outboard kill switch

Delta Dog

Cadet
Hey all,<br /><br />I have a ? about my kill switch. The little plastic piece that clips on where the key goes in (to attach the kill switch) broke but the engine still cranks and runs fine without it. YIKES!!!<br /><br />Obviously i need to by a new clip and lanyard but is the switch easy to fix?? I am assuming the switch is bad since the motor still runs. It is a center console throttle and it doesn't even look like it really comes apart too easy if at all. Is there a trick?? It is on a Sea Ark boat and the engine is a 2001 Johnson 70hp 2 stroke.<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Johnson outboard kill switch

dog,<br />your kill switch is probably fine. you can buy a new lanyard at any good marine store. i can't describe how it works, but the boat will run without it (i never use it). but when the lanyard is installed and pulled, it should kill the engine. others can describe the internal workings better, but your answer is that you're fine, just buy a new lanyard-

Walker

Captain

Nope, your engine should not run without the safety lanyard being attached. Your switch is probably bad.

mattttt25

Commander

disagree. i've been in several center consoles and bow riders (including my own), and all ran fine without the kill-switch lanyard being used. if i used the lanyard and pulled it, it did shut off the engine like designed. it's not the recommended operation to not use it, but it works and may people do it. maybe there are different types of kill-switches, but i doubt it. just replace the lanyard and test.

495v

Chief Petty Officer

I know on mine, the actual Lanyard line attaches under a toggle switch that say's run / off. If you pull the cable out, it forces the toggle to the off position, but you can also leave the cable off and just flip the toggle to the run position. So what is actually broke, the toggle switch or the plastic clip at the end of the line?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Some of the newer ones that go around the key actually shut the key off when pulled. I'm sure thats what Delta Dog has. If you remove the clip and lanyard and start it, it will run fine. <br /><br />The other style simply opens a ground circuit and when removed it completes the circuit to ground and the ignition has no spark.<br /><br />Two different ways to skin the same cat.<br /><br />Good luck!

Walker

Captain

Learn something new everyday. I knew about the Mercs with the toggle switch but sure didn't know about any OMC like that.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The '96 and later Johnson and Evinrude controls have a lanyard clip that physically turns the key to the OFF position when pulled. That also helps if the driver is thrown out of the boat, the passenger can start the engine and pick him up.<br /><br />Without the lanyard attached, it is sometimes hard to start the motor with the key pushed in to "choke" it; if you let go of the key quickly, sometimes it bounces to the OFF position.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Delta Dog,<br /> I'm not sure about your particular motor.Near the powerpack,there may be a single black w/yellow stripe wire with connector.Make sure it is connected.A dis-connected wire here could cause what you described.

Delta Dog

Cadet

WOW!!! I really appreciate all the immediate help on this issue!!! It sounds like I need to replace the clip on the lanyard and go from there. <br /><br />I am kinda bad about always remembering to clip it on my life jacket but I also understand it is a stiff fine if the switch is not operational.<br /><br />Thanks again!!!!!