Overhating 9.9 4-stroke Johnson

seahag

Recruit
Recently purchaced my first 4-stroke. 1996 Johnson 9.9, this motor has very low hours (may not have ever been previously run). I serviced the waterpump impeller and changed all fluids for GP. The motor will get to 210 at an idle, varified with a digital peromiter and thermomelt stick. Has good flow at tel-tale at all speeds. cools down imediately above 900 rpm. I have changed the thermostat (drilled releif per service bullitin) and rechecked waterpump assembally 4 times. all parts and assembily are correct. Do 4-strokes run hotter at idle than two strokes? should this motor boil water on parts of the head at an idle? :confused:

sloopy

Commander
Re: Overhating 9.9 4-stroke Johnson

no!! something is wrong and it must me a blocked passage.... drill a small hole along the edge of the thermostat and see if that helps.. if it helps drill more until it is at the right temperature.

sloopy

Commander

also clean out all of the passages...

sloopy

Commander

but wait! your stat should be opening mabe you got a bad dud stat? replace and see what happens..

sloopy

Commander

sorry one more thing.. if you cant find out what is wrong with it. and never fix it, rap you favorite dish in foil, then put it next to the powerhead and put the cowling on.! then idle for 2 hours and you got yourself a nice cooked meal.