1979 Evinrude 140 horsepower

borntofish

Cadet
my motor is having trouble starting I put a new starter but it's still with some trouble. I also put the spark plugs new and when i check them again the other day they were all covered with oil, can anyone tell me what could this mean?<br />i'll appreciate any tips on the starting problem as well.<br />Thanks in advanced

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Evinrude 140 horsepower

Born.... Regardless of the problem, always start with checking the compression which should be 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Then, with the s/plugs removed, check the spark which should jump a 7/16" gap on all cylinders with a strong blue flame.<br /><br />The spark plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 or L77JC4 plugs, gapped at .040 .<br /><br />With a strong flashlight that has a concentrated beam, look under the flywheel at the stator/charge coil assy (the assy that's close to the flywheel). If that assy is dripping a substance out of it, that would indicate the stator has cracked and is melting down somewhat which would cause weak (and in time none) ignition. Let us know what you find.