Gas pours out carb when pumping primer bulb

anvil23lead

Cadet
'67 40 horse Evinrude. I checked the float which appears fine, as does the needle valve. It could have been stuck, I guess, until I took it apart and farted with it. Right now I've got about half of the engine dismantled. Is there anything else to check on the carb before I stick it back together and go for glory?<br />Thanks,<br />Danny

ob

Admiral
Re: Gas pours out carb when pumping primer bulb

anvil, Check that all porting is free of restrictions.Check pickup tube in bowl and insure it is clear.Clean any gummy deposits on and around bowl pivot pin and needle seat to insure it doesn't stick again soon.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Danny<br />Check to make sure the float is not adjusted too high. Also make sure the float still floats in gas. Needle valve and seat are very cheap.

ob

Admiral

danny, Boatist gives good advice on checking condition and setting on float.If it is a brass float it could be fractured letting in even a slight amount of fuel and not allowing it to float properly.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if this applies for your motor but, could it be a bad or frozen check valve in the fuel pump?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It is the float has sunk in the bowl, or float valve needle stuck.<br />Before disassembly, try tapping the bowl with a handle end of a stout screwdriver,while someone squeezes the bulb, and see if it quits.<br />If it does, drain and clean you fuel system,from and including the tanks, all the way to the carb bowl.<br />If it does NOT, you will have to remove to float bowl,and needdle ,clean, and reassemble.<br />This willl involve a carb rebuild kit.<br /><br />Be sure it has an inline fuel filter, and if not, install one.<br />This previous thread may be of some help.;<br /><br /> COMMON PROBLEMS WITH OUTBOARD CARBS <br />Good luck, and happy boating.